Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

mclarenmatt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Noobie to FSX

Post by mclarenmatt »

Hello all,

I hope this is the right section to post in :/

Basically Im new to FSX and would like a few opinions from you more experienced pilots :P Im thinking of getting the FSX Deluxe Edition and the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T- ... 979&sr=1-6).

Doe's anyone have that Joystick? I don't really want to spend loads on one yet as Im only just starting out, can buy a better one at a later date :)

Is the Deluxe version worth getting? A friend said the Acceleration pack really isn't worth it :/ I just need to make sure I install SP2?

I have just built a new Core i5 machine so I should get some decent performance hopefully.

Seen the Concorde in development on here somewhere for FSX, will defo buy that :D Although will probably not even get it off the ground for the first few days haha!

Cheers for any help,

Matthew.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Noobie to FSX

Post by Garry Russell »

HI Matthew and welcome :hello:

I've moved this the Virtual Spanner :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Matthew and welcome :D

If you already have FSX and the service packs.. then buy ACCELERATION. You'll need to uninstall SP2 but that's it. The only difference between FSX GOLD and the rest is that 'Gold' includes ACC and is already patched to SP2 ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Hi Matthew, and welcome.

If you haven't bought FSX yet, I'd advise getting the "Gold" edition rather than the deluxe, as Dave said.

I haven't seen that joystick before, but I think Thrustmaster is a fairly well respected make.
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Matt..

Concur very much with DaveG's comment. If you don't already own FSX, the Gold edition is by far the best option. No fiddling.. does the lot in one install ;)

Not seen that stick before but Thrustmaster are a known brand. Years ago, TM sticks were probably the best you could get and this was reflected in the price.. double the price of anything else on the market. I think I paid double what Amazon are asking for a Thrustmaster Flightstick Pro which didn't even have rudder control but I am going back a few years.. quite a few :D Couldn't comment on build quality now but the Flightstick Pro felt like it would last forever.. made in the U.S. too though later TM sticks I've seen are of a Far Eastern origin ;) I'm a little worried that £40 doesn't seem enough for what you're getting to be honest. The name is good but the price doesn't feel right.. similar offerings from Saitek cost double this. That said.. it might be just fine and a reflection of how big TM are and how competitive they can be :D

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

mclarenmatt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by mclarenmatt »

Cheers for the info guy's.

Will get the Gold edition then when I get paid ;) It's only £4 more anyway!

Will have a look around at a few other joysticks for a similar price first, although the Thrustmaster does look good for the price.

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi Matthew.

Enjoy FSX, get Horizon's VFR GenX Version 2 (if you enjoy England and Wales), and avoid Logitech! That's all I have to offer. :)

James