FSX Tiger Moth in development

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: FSX Tiger Moth in development

Post by DispatchDragon »

And G-APAM is now available at www.classicbritishfiles.com

st george
Meteor
Meteor

Post by st george »

Version 1.1 just released. Includes numerous bug fixes, tweaked aerodynamics as well as 2 new repaints (VH-BAL and G-BMPY which were previously available separately).

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app= ... wfile=1012

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

511 flyer - our paths could possibly have crossed at Fairoaks!
My log book shows 8 different registrations between 1957 & 1959, now to my aged brain & memory I always thought that they were all fitted with strakes (seeing as they were all ex RAF) & they had tailskids (in those days there was only concrete in front of the hangars). They could be pigs to taxy in a crosswind & I remember having to leave one by the signal square outside of the Tower because there was no-one to help on the wingtip & it just would not go where I wanted!.
As for colour I think they all had the 'House colours' of silver with green lettering & possibly a flash down the fuselage.
The registrations I have are:
ANUD, AODU, ANOM, ANDG, AHRM, ANPB, AODS (my first solo) & AOAC (my licence test with the CFI the legendry W/C Arthur).
As an aside my father worked pre WWII for Brooklands in various places & I have a photo of him on the wing of a Brooklands a/c somewhere!
Old age memories rushing on.....
Keith

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Hello Keith.
I didn't start at Fairoaks until mid 1960, after I left the RAF. I was there for about a year, and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately the wages weren't very good, and having a new young wife to support, I moved to VA at Weybridge, working in the VC10 wing shop.

I'm afraid I can't remember any of the reg's, but the club colours were indeed silver with a green flash. I remember having to repaint in green, the names on the nose of the two Chipmunks. As far as my memory serves, they were Klondyke Kate and Diamond Lil. Something like that anyway. I can't remember how many Tigers they had, but it seemed a lot when they had to be packed in the hangar. They also had a Tri-Pacer. I remember that, because I got a rollocking for taxying it too fast. :$

I certainly remember the "Wingco" As well as being the CFI, he also owned the airfield. I think he was also the CO when Fairoaks used to train RAF pilots. It was never RAF Fairoaks, but had an RAF presence.

London Transport Flying Club was also based there, and I think Ted Baker was the FI. I think they only had one maroon coloured Tiger Moth.

Geoff Chandler was the chief engineer of Universal Flying Services, who I worked for. Lots of guys with names like Charlie, Bill, Tom, and several Johns. A goodly crew.

Dennis.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Following each other around! I served my apprenticeship at Weybridge (following in my fathers & uncles footsteps). I went into the Mould loft at the end of my apprenticeship working on the VC 10 fuselage & Engine stubs, before moving into the TSR2 Design office in 1961. I left just before the curtain fell on the project & just before its first flight (I think in early 64) - long time ago & memory fades v. quickly!
Keith

Jetstreamsky
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Jetstreamsky »

After a couple of Swiss and a Dutch paint, one final G reg

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Looking nice :)

One small query :hide:

Should the reg slope back on the starboard?? *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Jetstreamsky
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Jetstreamsky »

No, it's a go forward in flight style

http://www.airliners.net/photo/De-Havil ... 1129387/L/

I think, if it had been leaning back, when the aircraft is sitting back on the tail wheel when parked, the reg would look odd, as it is the reg is vertical when parked.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/De-Havil ... 1001809/L/

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers for that...looks a bit odd in the air but makes sense on the ground. :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

When it's on the ground, it's only vertical on the starboard side actually. Even more of a slope on the port side!

;)