Red Arrows

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Not able to play this as at work so don't know what can be seen of the impact.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8586114.stm?ls

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Judging by their grammar, they seem to think the base is called Hellenic Air Force Base. You'd think that the BBC at least would know Hellenic Air Force simply means Greek Air Force.......................or would you? *-)

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Sadly not Nige.. the BBC are rather good at this sort of thing 8)

I remember some years ago when Airfix was on the rocks, one of Aunties reporters interviewed on Radio2 was saying he'd been out and bought a Spitfire. I can't remember exactly which version it was but the plonker obviously had no idea that a MkIX meant a Mk9. I seem to remember him calling it something like an M K I X (as in em.. kay.. eye.. ex). I was so incensed, I nearly got SWMBO to phone the BBC and ask WTF was going on! :lol: (I must point out that we were in the car at the time) :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Judging by their grammar, they seem to think the base is called Hellenic Air Force Base. You'd think that the BBC at least would know Hellenic Air Force simply means Greek Air Force.......................or would you? *-)
They be being retarded, although I believe the BBC have some sort of department that deals with the correct pronunciation of foreign words/terms and they may feel that referring to it as the Hellenic Air Force is more accurate culturally. I guess something like having a foreign news agency refer to it as the Royal Navy, rather than the British Royal Navy, mind you the BBC can f**k that up as well so probably just being retarded!

I wouldn't worry about running out of Hawks, as I understand it they have a few painted up as spares for the Reds, the students at Valley sometimes use them. Plus there're a load of standard ones in storage at Shawbury.

fmansam
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by fmansam »

well it is no longer a mystery... :doh:
no phantom engine troubles, :OB:
there is a video clip out now of the crash, they hit on the infamous cross over!!! :hide:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

SkippyBing wrote:
They be being retarded, although I believe the BBC have some sort of department that deals with the correct pronunciation of foreign words/terms and they may feel that referring to it as the Hellenic Air Force is more accurate culturally. I guess something like having a foreign news agency refer to it as the Royal Navy, rather than the British Royal Navy, mind you the BBC can f**k that up as well so probably just being retarded!

I wouldn't worry about running out of Hawks, as I understand it they have a few painted up as spares for the Reds, the students at Valley sometimes use them. Plus there're a load of standard ones in storage at Shawbury.
lol

wouldn'thappen to know where the spare keys are , wouldya.

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

Someone got it (only just) on film in the distance, hard to see but you get the gist of it...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -22137964/

TTFN :bandit:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

Wishing the gent in question a speedy recovery - it's his last season and hopefully he won't have to sit this one out ! Was lucky enough to fly with him back in April

Cheers

Rich

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hats off to the man :thumbsup:

Anyone who can bang out at that Speed and Altitude and survive gets my Vote

From the video i get approx 4 seconds from the collision to the aircraft hitting the ground :-O
thats a serious lack of time to make a decision :cheers:

Regards
Rick

marcus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by marcus »

nice to see us at martin baker doing our job again!
I sense a disturbance in the force