Red Arrows

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Red Arrows

Post by DaveB »

Good one Marcus ;) Are you at Chalgrove up the road from me by any chance?? *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

marcus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by marcus »

yep Dave I'm at Chalgrove, perk of the job is being able to see the old Meteor giving us our own air display just after they've done a seat test. Rumour has it the previous pilot used to be able to fly low level between the two hangers ;)
I sense a disturbance in the force

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Speedy recovery to the pilot.

Video confirms what I suspected from the damage. Someone messed up the spacing on a pass. Sadly this kind of miscalculation has happened too many times before and they were very lucky this time as these kinds of accidents tend to kill. Most recent one I can remember was the Italians, but the Russians have had several and in the US both the Blues and Thunderbirds have had them and sadly the two I can remember took both pilots.

This is why the Blues and Thunderbirds use optical illusion to make it look close even though they have at least 500 feet horizontal and/or 100 feet vertical and/or temporal separation between them when they do their crossovers. It's not because they're not good enough to go closer, it's because they've learned the hard way that those passes are the most dangerous maneuvers they do and thus they deserve the most respect and largest margin of safety.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Chris Trott wrote:Someone messed up the spacing on a pass.

got your crystal ball working again did ya.. :thumbsup:

8)