FSX and Windows 7 32 or 64 bits?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: FSX and Windows 7 32 or 64 bits?

Post by emfrat »

Thanks Darren -
That is very useful info. I suspect 192GB of RAM would be worth more than the box it lived in, so I might give that a miss for the moment ;)

ATB
MikeW

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

As I understand it, and I can't check because I'm on my XP laptop miles from home, you can upgrade your version of Win 7 online. There should be an icon somewhere on the start menu with words to that effect, basically you pay an upgrade fee and I think the extra features get unlocked. More details here:- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... me-upgrade
Every Win 7 disc actually has all the files required for the Ultimate version so you shouldn't have to download giga bytes of data.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Thanks Skip - another handy tip :thumbsup:
It will be a while yet before BigBeast MkII gets built, but all these little details help.
:cheers:
MikeW

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

petermcleland wrote:Bear in mind that some of the more complex payware aircraft will not run on 64 bit and some like Dreamfleet will not be converted so you lose them.
Why not?

If they are dependent of some 32bit version of e.g. C+ core files, the only thing you have to do is download and install the needed version free off Microsoft ....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

petermcleland wrote:Bear in mind that some of the more complex payware aircraft will not run on 64 bit and some like Dreamfleet will not be converted so you lose them.
Peter,

I'm running Win7 64-bit, and I've got all of the Dreamfleet aircraft running fine. The only issue I had was with the version of the A36 with the Reality XP guages - the GNS didn't work (IIRC it was an old, 16-bit version). Luckily, I've got the latest version of that as well, so it was a simple edit of the panel and all is fine!

Mark

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Badgerman wrote:
Peter,

I'm running Win7 64-bit, and I've got all of the Dreamfleet aircraft running fine. The only issue I had was with the version of the A36 with the Reality XP guages - the GNS didn't work (IIRC it was an old, 16-bit version). Luckily, I've got the latest version of that as well, so it was a simple edit of the panel and all is fine!
Yes it was the realityXP gauges that I was talking about...They won't run in a 64bit operating system. Also their GNS was dependant on an old Garmin Trainer (that was a very serious mistake and caused massive support difficulties). So I presume you had to buy some new Reality Gauges or did they supply them free?

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Hi,

I actually went about it backwards. I had already purchased the Reality XP package prior to getting the Dreamfleet aircraft. I'd never heard of them until I saw them featured in one of your posts. After reading the descriptions on Dreamfleet's website, I figured I'd have no problem swapping out the old for the new... and I'm glad I did. I simply love the A36 and the Baron!

Mark