Travel: Find the LZ130!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Travel: Find the LZ130!

Post by FlyTexas »

Ok, it's not the real LZ130 'Graf Zeppelin'..."it's only a model" (to borrow a line from Monty Python's 'The
Holy Grail' movie. :lol: The model is said to reside at the airport in Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA. As luck would have
it Southwest serves that city, so we're off to Milwaukee to find the LZ130!

Our ride, 'Triple Crown One'. :)
(time passes...eating tiny bags of peanuts, drinking Coca-Cola, looking out the window, changing planes in Kansas City,
chatting with the flight attendants, a little nap...)

Ahh, we've arrived in Milwaukee and our destination...the Mitchell Gallery of Flight!

Image.
Check out that prop with the offset blades! Interesting. *-)

There she is!!

...Finally leaving the snowbound Midwest US and heading home to warm and sunny Texas. A winglet shot for Joe. ;)
Last edited by FlyTexas on 09 Feb 2011, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Travel: Find the LZ130!

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers Brian

Interesting :)

Is the Airbus? alongside the Zeppelin for same scale (for comparison)?

I can't see Southwest ever using airships *-) ...nowhere to put winglets where they can be photographed :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Yes Garry, I think the aircraft (maybe a 757) was placed there for comparison. One of my LZ129 Hindenburg books show a Boeing 707 in scale with the LZ129 (the sistership of the LZ130) and the 707 is almost the same length of one of the airships fins when measured from the fins root. So I'm guessing that the aircraft in the pic should be a little longer than one of the LZ130's fin. Amazing, eh? :) Oh, and a virtual pint to anyone who can explain that goofy offset-bladed prop. :lol:

Brian

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

FlyTexas wrote:...Finally leaving the snowbound Midwest US and heading home to warm and sunny Texas.
Wait, are we living in the same Texas? It's been cold as hell here the last week. :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TBH I initially thought it was a 757 the thought it looked short but probably the angle :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Chris Trott wrote:
FlyTexas wrote:...Finally leaving the snowbound Midwest US and heading home to warm and sunny Texas.
Wait, are we living in the same Texas? It's been cold as hell here the last week. :)
:lol: But remember how nice it was the week before the week of the Super Bowl? ;) That's one of the things I love about Texas...the winter weather usually doesn't stick around for very long. Although this winter has been something else, eh?

Brian

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

Thanks for sharing the pictures Brian. Guess you had a good time away?

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

FlyTexas wrote::lol: But remember how nice it was the week before the week of the Super Bowl? ;) That's one of the things I love about Texas...the winter weather usually doesn't stick around for very long. Although this winter has been something else, eh?

Brian
Yep, I remember that week and am looking forward to this weekend and possible 70 degree weather. :)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

austerdriver wrote:Thanks for sharing the pictures Brian. Guess you had a good time away?
Definitely had a good time. :) As a Southwest Airlines employee I absolutely love the freedom to travel just for the fun of it. A while back I flew out to Albuquerque New Mexico for the sole purpose of eating a Chicken Burrito. Seriously! :lol:

Chris Trott wrote:Yep, I remember that week and am looking forward to this weekend and possible 70 degree weather. :)
70 degrees....mmmm, nice! :thumbsup:

Brian

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Who is that in the painting carrying the broomstick. I thought the USAAF had better equipment than that?
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman