Shakin' all over!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Shakin' all over!

Post by nigelb »

DispatchDragon wrote:Yawn.............

<-----Now living twelve miles from the San Andreas Fault and Astride the Rodgers Creek/Hayward faults......wake me when it when it says 6.8 ......Seriously funny, we get half a dozen tremors a week, some you notice most you dont, Oh yes and for all you swimmers -- we live exactly twenty miles from Point Reyes which is the center of the Farralon Gulf, where Bruce and Mrs Bruce like to make little great white sharks and dine on Seals.

Leif
*-) I wondered how long it would take for someone from the left coast to belittle our feeble quake, which has become even more of a snoozer because they now say it was only a 5.8. Whew, that make me feel a whole lot better! In defence of our little quake, it occured at a depth only of 3.7 mile. Since the East Coast has relativly few fault lines and a rock bed that is older and colder, the shock waves were transmitted over a far greater distance than the typical California quake. Atlanta to Ottawa and as far west as Chicago - top that! Even the native Californians here were impressed.

Hey if your planning a trip to Washington, don't plan on visisting the Washington Monument just yet - it is closed "indefinitely." Luckily, the North Anna nuclear plant (about 15 miles from the epicenter) shut down automatically and behaved itself. Not to worry, Dominion Virginia Power stated in their application permit that an earthquake in that area was possible only every 10,000 years so we don't have to be concerned for another 10,000 years! It was built in 1978 to withstand a 5.9 earthquake so we are ok on that score also. :wasntme:

Oh, I just noticed San Francisco had a 3.6 quake along the Hayward Fault this morning .................. Yawn!

Nigel²

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Nigel²
I see ya have a hurricane headed your way.

It's looking you'll get the backside of the storm which is not as bad...although that's not a guarantee you'll not get strong wind's. During hurricane Francis delivered WPB the strongest winds at one point. And the eye came onshore fifty miles north of here.

.... an earthquake and a hurricane in the same week?
Be safe up there.

Joe

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Yep, looks like Irene will track right along the coast line. I would not want to be on the Outer Banks right now. Since I live 20 miles west of DC, they forecast 1 to 3 inches of rain and 20-40 mph winds with gusts to 50 mph. That should not be too bad if those predictions are correct, Isabel in 2003 was far worse. Things have been rather exciting here - now all we need are mud slides, forest fires and locusts.

At any rate, it all sounds like good excuse to me. :cheers: :guinn: That is how I am preparing for the storm.

Nigel²

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

If Irene gets to be too much of a headache Nigel feel free to send her over here to Texas...we'd love to enjoy some of her sweet rain. :thumbsup: It's been drier than a popcorn fart around here lately. :(

Brian

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

:lol: :lol: "It's been drier than a popcorn fart around here lately. " That sounds like something Dan Rather might say - must be a Texas thing.
By the way, Irene is bigger than Texas! :hide:

Looks like we will get more rain than they intitially forecast so I can bottle up some for ya! Sorry, you will have to come here to take delivery though because I am too busy :guinn: :guinn: Gonna be a long night!

Nigel²

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hunker down folks.......

Experienced a couple of major hurricanes in Central America....

Take care folks, best wishes

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

nigelb wrote: :guinn: :guinn: Gonna be a long night!
So how are you holding up Nigel? I hope all is well with you and yours.

Brian

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

He might have lost power Brian. .... or :worried: or he's three sheets to the wind with all that :guinn: he did.
:lol:

I hope it's that. :doh:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

You and me both. :agree: And if he lost power he'll have to drink his beer at room temperature instead of ice-cold...the way beer is supposed to be served. :hide: ;)

Brian

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Like Billy Beer? :lol:

Naw he wouldn't drink that. I don't think he'd even use BB to protest the gubberment by pouring it in a harbour
:rofl: