Anybody smell smoke?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Anybody smell smoke?

Post by Chris Trott »

Airspeed wrote:Scary stuff, couldn't believe that they allowed it to go untended for so long!
The Flight Global article and previous posts give exactly why it was allowed to go "unattended" for the period it did. Reality was, fire crews were standing there waiting the entire time, so in fact, the entire test was fully monitored and attended, just not acted on, which was per the test requirements.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Chris Trott wrote: Reality was, fire crews were standing there waiting the entire time, so in fact, the entire test was fully monitored and attended, just not acted on, which was per the test requirements.
Well actually Christopher, actually.. the fire crews did not follow the requirements of the test. They were to stand by - not intervene (which they did) until told to do so.
It's right there in the video.... 8)

4:40(Fire crew approach the aircraft)
4:42 _Yes. Tell him, Not Yet

(the fireman attempt to hose the fire)
5:23 _No. Tell him not to start. No intervention yet
5:28 _No intervention - No intervention yet.
5:31 _ It's not an important fire.
5:42 _ Well, he's not listening

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Sorry, but they did follow protocol. When the flames started to spread, he did his job - it's exactly what was said by the ground crew and the response by the test engineer after your second quote - "well it's his job". The guy initially just started spraying the wheel parts that had been blown clear - a good idea and not violating the test. But when the big fire broke out, it was time to end the test because it was an obvious failure. Sorry, but still doesn't change my answer - until the test was a resounding failure, the fire crews did their job - monitor and not interfere.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Chris Trott wrote:Sorry, Sorry,
I'm glad you can admit it.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Obviously to trained firefighters, there's a wealth of difference between "tending" and "acting", but to mere mortals, who did not even realize that this was a test, it appeared that things were being let go, following a widespread brake or bearing overheat. The precise meaning of words pale into insignificance when action is required. I tend to think the on board crew shared that feeling towards the end, unless of course "EVACUATE!" was an order to visit the toilet quickly?

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Chris Trott wrote:
Airspeed wrote:Scary stuff, couldn't believe that they allowed it to go untended for so long!
The Flight Global article and previous posts give exactly why it was allowed to go "unattended" for the period it did. Reality was, fire crews were standing there waiting the entire time, so in fact, the entire test was fully monitored and attended, just not acted on, which was per the test requirements.
Sorry from me too, still can't see where the previous posts give an exact reason. I've not seen a Flight Global article, is it something like a golf bat that makes spheres fly?