Foster Wikner Wicko

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Foster Wikner Wicko

Post by Molyned »

Just a 'heads-up' to let you know that the team of Martin, Brian and me have been developing our latest in our classic British aircraft series.
Yes, it's the Foster Wikner Wicko for FS9 although I expect it will port over to FSX reasonably well. :worried:
The aircraft is now in beta testing over at Britsim.com so, providing it gets a smooth ride, will be launched in the near future.
A few words about the aircraft -
The Wicko G.M.1 was the third design of Australian aircraft builder Geoffrey Wikner after he had set up a business in the U.K. in 1934.
His plan was to offer a no-frills aircraft which would undercut the opposition but still have a reasonable performance.
Originally it was powered by a cheaper Ford car water-cooled engine and flown in 1936 but turned out to be underpowered.
D.H. Gipsy Major engines were finally used on production aircraft.
This aircraft, G-AFJB, was built in 1938 and is still flying today after an extensive rebuild.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Foster Wikner Wicko

Post by DaveB »

Another interesting subject Dave ;) Tks for the HU :)

While you're here.. I was looking through one of my Airspeed books this evening and noticed a number of now forgotten aircraft. Any plans for an Airspeed in the future?

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave, :hello: .
You said the magic word! Would you give us some detail about your book? Is there an ISBN or too old for that stuff? Does it include a chapter or six on the Oxford?
Look forward to hearing, thanks.
EDIT, realised after post that you have more than one! Please add "s" to each word above as appropriate.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave,
That's my kind of aircraft....low and slow....watch the scenery.....
VERY much looking forward to its release. I'm developing a bald patch through taking my hat off so often to you brilliant builders! :welldone: :thumbsup:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Dave M.. sri about the partial hi-jack.. I'll be gone in a tic ;)

Hi Mike..
There isn't much printed about Airspeed as you know. The particular book I was reading is 'AIRSPEED The Company and its Aeroplanes' by D.H. Middleton, ISBN 0 86138 009 6. Publishers are/were (it's an old book) Terence Dalton Limited, Lavenham, Suffolk. Printers: The Lavenham Press Limited, Lavenham, Suffolk. Copyright is D.H. Middleton 1982.
It has a brief history of their beginings and covers the Tern and Ferry, Courier, Envoy and Viceroy, Oxford, Queen Wasp and Other Projects, Horsa and Ambassador ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Not forgetting of course, the Oxford conversion from war surplus - the Consul

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Morton-A ... df51a2a131

Graham
Last edited by Filonian on 11 May 2012, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Thanks chaps ;)
Don't worry about thread hijacking Dave - it's a special feature of this forum isn't it ? :agree:
No, can't think we've got any plans for Airspeed stuff. That's mainly Martins department- I'm just the virtual chippie, brickie and painter chap.
One major consideration is getting enough information together to make a good fist of it. I much prefer working from colour images of the real aircraft (especially the cockpit) as we've done on this Wicko.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dave :lol:

Hijack over :lol:

Rgr on the Airspeeds ;) There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info kicking around for other than the Ambassador but there was always a hope. Never mind. It's certainly not the end of the world ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Dave B,
It's the Oxford I'm mainly interested in. I did a BMP for the pilot & co-pilot instrument panel, and used it in my attempt at the Oxford for FS9. Having recently got my computer back from testing, (they couldn't find the fault), I'm planning to try and pick up where I left off many years back.