Instant Scenery V2

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Instant Scenery V2

Post by TSR2 »

Hi George,

It seems to be a bug in the release version. Downloaded the latest BETA and the objects are there so I can delete them. (This is using the AD2 file, not the BGL) I've posted over at FSD and I'll send Jon some logs ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Hmm,

I am using Version 1.5.4402/4.5.4399 and have never seen that problem.

I do have the beta but use it only for testing since it may be unstable.
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It seems to be very random, if at all, but the beta seems to have addressed it. I've changed the settings too, so as it puts the scenery objects into a separate bgl and upgraded to the "pro" verson so as I could nudge the airport about. I've used the map from OS, which is actually pretty close to the MS default tbh. Then nudged the whole airport to line up with the Virtual Earth tiles, so its coming together. I've identified all bar one of the main MoD hanger types too. I'm going to try SketchUp again at the weekend as id really like to get something half close to the main factory hangers.

ImageImageImage

JKAGary
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by JKAGary »

TSR2 wrote:I've identified all bar one of the main MoD hanger types too. I'm going to try SketchUp again at the weekend as id really like to get something half close to the main factory hangers.
This threads grown since I last looked at it so i've lost track of what's going on....I went back through the posts but am having a senior moment so thought it'd be easier to ask than guess to see if I can help?

Are you trying to create or model a specific hanger?
Google sketchup warehouse has a number of hanger types available - especially all the different RAF types, or if you need one modeled and created as an mdl and/or bgl I could probably do that if you could give me a reference (or point to the post where this started)

Just thought i'd offer in case I could be of any help....unless you are trying to learn sketchup/mdl creation
So if you've got it covered ignore this.
man - i'm more tired than I thought!!

:doh:

Cheers
Gary

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'd really appreciate that Gary. I've got most of the RAF ones, however they're mostly admiralty types rather than the RAF. I have the RAF ones (Bellmans and T2's) from John Andrews libraries. On the MoD side (I'm calling in MoD as there's the mix of RAF / RN) The ones I've identified, that I don't have models for are:-

Admiralty Type S / Mainhill Hangar (Main) 60 x 70 x 17
Fromson 92 x 70 x 17
Pentad 185 x 105 x 25 (a bit like a shrunk T2)
Workshop 84 x 60 (No idea what this looks like)
VR2

The others can be seen in this thread.... http://www.airfieldinformationexchange. ... ngar-Types

The ones I'm really interested in getting models for are the Shorts factory ones though, as these are non standard MoD types.

Flight Hanger...
http://goo.gl/maps/oH62B (the images in GE or Bing maps are probable better, but you'll get an idea)

Fuselage Skin Shop
http://goo.gl/maps/PavHb

Aircraft Assembly
http://goo.gl/maps/zHnxu

I have some other bits and bobs in terms of photo, but not sure of how much use they would be.
If you could do any of these it would be greatly appreciated :Dance:

Another question, for George probably.

I've managed to get some good maps of the Docks. What I'd like to do is elevate the ground (but not the water) by say 10 feet or so, put a flatten in and put the photo types from FSET on top of that. This isn't for the airport side of things as that's already set at 14ft which is about right, however the land around the shipyard (which should probably also be at about 10 - 14 ft and flat, isn't. Do you think its achievable? *-)

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

You can make a flatten polygon in SBX and set it to any elevation.

The problem will be at the waters edge. You will need to exclude the default hydro-poly and create a new one to match the photo-textures.

The problem with this is that the exclusion will delete to QMid11 boundaries so you may need to extend your hydro-poly to match the default coastline.
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi George,

If I understand correctly, create a flatten elevation poly. Create an exclude for the default hydro poly ( does this need to be any special type of exclude to kill the hydro poly?) extend my own water hydro poly ( is this the same as creating a water poly? )

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

The exclusion should be "Exclude all water-polys". If there is a default coastline you will also need a separate "Exclude shoreline".

The hydro-poly should follow the coastline and around the QMid11 boundary enclosing the water area:

The flatten is a simple flatten.

George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks George,

A picture paints a thousand words and all that. I'll have a go tomorrow night when I get home from work. :thumbsup:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Nev,
Did I get the right photo? The one I worked from has a verandah (at least overhanging roof along one long edge)

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4894116077962726&pid=1.9

No problem about making another, as long as I know what it looks like. How many windows etc.