Premium Bonds

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Harry Basset
Victor
Victor

Premium Bonds

Post by Harry Basset »

I have held Premium Bonds for many years, the most I have ever won has been about £100 per year in lots of £25 a time. I found this derisory so I cashed in most of my bonds and bought myself a Mazda MX-5 2 seater convertible. Driving this car is great fun for me, at the age of 68 it counts as my late life crisis.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Premium Bonds

Post by Tomliner »

Can't fault that Harry :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

A big :thumbsup: from me too Harry ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Harry, you may not win £100, but you might get a new girlfriend! What would Mrs Dodger say?
You forgot to tell us the colour.... *-)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

An excellent investment, Harry. There's no better place to put your money at the moment. The returns you'll get from owning and driving an MX-5 are far better than putting the money into a bank!

So, what did you get? A Mk1, 2 or 3? We know it's the convertible but we don't know what colour. So you'll have to give us some more info and preferably some photos.

I've already posted pics of the one I bought Mrs Speedbird, which is a red 1.8 Mk3 convertible, which we got new with a 60 plate and still only 5k on the clock!

My brother has a much-loved Mk1, which is his second car, and he's a member of the owners' club and takes it to rallies and it gives him a social aspect to it as well.

According to Which? magazine and Warranty Direct it's one of the most reliable cars in the UK and it's absolute total fun to drive. You'll get a lot of pleasure out of it and also the knowledge that it's almost sensible as well!

Ian :)

Harry Basset
Victor
Victor

Post by Harry Basset »

It's a 56 plate black mk3. I am very impressed with the hood, about 10 seconds to get down and 25 seconds to put up (Once I remember to lower the windows first) The whole car seems very well designed and built and the performance is breathtaking to me. I'll try and put a picture or two soon.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Oooh. Black Mk3 - very nice :thumbsup:

Herkpilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot »

Bravo! You could not have made a better investment! In my mis-spent youth, I invested heavily in the UK export scheme, investing in MGs, Healys and Lotus (Lotii? a Europa, Elan and 7). I was seduced by the beauty and promise and never seemed to learn. They all quickly brought sorrow and disappointment, leaving me stranded by the roadside, leaking vast quantities of oil and other noxious fluids on the garage floor and learning ever stronger curses for the "Prince of Darkness" and his foul tricks.

The red 1990 Miata (1.6L)in my garage for the last 14 years has brought nothing but joy! It is the perfect english roadster! At 135,000 miles and 23 years old , there's not a drop of fluid on the floor, it is always ready to romp down the road putting a smile on my face and not one original part has ever fallen off. With just minimal servicing everything works exactly the way it was delivered to the original owner. The day this auto entered my life my blood pressure fell 15 points. Even the flight surgeon noticed the change in my health. You cannot climb aboard for even a short run to the grocery and not come home smiling and feeling good. It may help that the top (hood?) has not been raised for the past 5 years but at my age (68) it is difficult to enter and exit when up. It is not my primary vehicle but it is the vehicle of choice most days. I will never be without one as long as I'm able to drive.

Zoom Zoom

Hy

Harry Basset
Victor
Victor

Post by Harry Basset »

That's good to read. I regard the MX-5 as what such cars as the Triumph Spitfire were intended have been. The only addition to the Mazda I would make would be something to shield my contortions from the general public when I get in and out with the top up. I did wonder if the electric top could be a retro fit to a mk3?