Apple iOS 7 now available

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Apple iOS 7 now available

Post by Nigel H-J »

In the interests of science I got cyberbrat to install it first on his ipad2 so I could see what it looks like and how it works. I'm glad I did. I think it's horrible as all the pretty icons have changed.
You think its' 'orrible.....What about your poor stepsons' feelings after you bullied him into it.......Shame on you Ian!! :rant: :lol: :lol:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

speedbird591 wrote:
petermcleland wrote:I used to do a four fingered swipe up the screen to reveal a line of icons below which were all the things currently running...Then I could hold my finger on one of them and they would all get a "Close" bar on them which when I tapped it would stop that App running. I could then go along and shut them all down so that nothing was running...I have not yet found how to do this in IOS 7.
Hi Peter. I've just checked with my stepson and this feature still exists but is even cooler! A four-finger swipe up from the bottom of the home page still shows the row of icons of running Apps and above them is a screen shot of the program. Swiping them sideways will animate them to slide across the screen and when you find the one(s) you want to close you just flick the screenshot up to the top of the screen with your finger and it disappears, closing the App.

Or a tap on the mini screen will open the App.

It's more fun than the shaking crosses :lol:
Yep, I've been reading the manual too...Even cooler, you don't need the four finger swipe to get into multi-tasking...Just press the Home button twice (or the top left key on your keyboard Ian). :)

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Double tapping the home button in io6 does the same. I installed the new software on my IPod and to be honest it looks like windows 8 in the same cheap way. I think I will hold off putting it on the phone and iPad just yet.
I see they do not support iPad 1 or the iPhone 3GS ....hmmm following Microsoft and their determination to get you to buy new hardware that runs their system, naughty and not nice.... :(
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

IBM and Apple were doing it long before Windows was a twinkle in Bill Gates eye. On many of the big IBM systems you weren't allowed to be more than two revision behind the current release and if that meant you had to upgrade you're hardware, that's what you had to do.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Q: How do you know when someone's upgraded to iOS7?

A: They'll tell you! :)

I've upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS7 and the upgrade was quite painless and it works well. I like the changed look of some of the core apps as well, Safari and Mail for instance.
I don't much like the overall look of the new OS though, it may be clean and functional but it looks so cheap and nasty. It seems to have been designed by someone with a complete lack of artistic talent. The new icons are plain and I particularly dislike the folders which are now grey squares like holes in my wallpaper, and the dock is an opaque oblong covering the bottom part of the screen. It's so ugly. :'(

I mostly like the changes to the way the new system works but I already miss the old look. It used to be both functional and aesthetically pleasing, now it may function better but looks ordinary. It's gone from VC10 to A330.

Jon

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Anyway, its not like its the most important software release this week, my wife has now lost me to GTA V. And its both a work of art, and superb :agree:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Jon.M wrote:Q: How do you know when someone's upgraded to iOS7?

A: They'll tell you! :)
:-# :lol:
TSR2 wrote:Anyway, its not like its the most important software release this week, my wife has now lost me to GTA V. And its both a work of art, and superb :agree:
Tom's been playing it downstairs on the big telly - so Speedbird Towers has been echoing to the friendly banter and street chit chat of LA pimps and drug dealers for the last couple of days :lol:

It seems like such hard work to continually interject your speech with so many obscenities. Not that I mind. I just wonder that if in real life these guys just go home and close the door and speak normally - just for a rest :lol:

I expect we'll wake up murdered in our beds before the week's out. :lol:

It is a fantastic piece of software, Ben, although I think I'll leave it up to you experts to play. I wouldn't know where to start.

Ian :)

plumber
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by plumber »

I used I Tunes to update my I phone 5, well that was the plan, just my luck, I tunes crashed and my phone no longer works, so am waiting to send it back to "Vodafone" one of their Tech's tried to fix it and failed. Most people that I have spoken to just used the phone to update and had zero problems.
Brian H :(

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Just a quick note to anyone who has not yet gone to IOS7...Before you leave IOS6 click your App Store icon to check for updates...Many Apps have issued updates for IOS7 and some of them want you to update the App BEFORE you upgrade to IOS7...Also please note that the iTunes App in your PC needs to be updated also and you really should do that before you connect your updated iPad to your computer for Synching or Backup :)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I think iTunes is an evil piece of software :lol: I don't like it and manage my iDevices quite happily without it!

I just upgraded to iOS7 over WiFi with mains power without plugging into the laptop and both the phone and pad were fine. With iOS7 there is now a setting that allows Apps to update in the background without waiting for notifications and then doing it manually.

In other news: I've grown to love the minimalist look and feel to iOS7. It didn't take long, did it? :lol: There are a lot of quite subtle animations and improvements which aren't obvious at first. It seems to have been well thought out after all! Especially for the iPhone where the smaller screen gains the most benefit from the sharper, cleaner fonts and background. And the only tech problems seem to have been with download or installations and not too many of those.

Brian - can't you just do a 'reset' and then restore from your iCloud Backup?

Ian :)