Just Flight Lightning - any of you own it?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TrafficPilot
Meteor
Meteor

Just Flight Lightning - any of you own it?

Post by TrafficPilot »

Hi guys,

Am considering buying the Just Flight Lightning. Fantastic piece of British engineering. I know Just Flight can be a bit "hit and miss" with their addons but the Mutley's Hanger review is pretty good so thought I'd pop in here to ask your opinions before getting out the debit card!

Thanks

Adam
TrafficPilot

Henk Schuitemaker
Meteor
Meteor

Re: Just Flight Lightning - any of you own it?

Post by Henk Schuitemaker »

I am happy with it, there were several issues with the initial release but most of those have been fixed with the service pack. Always hard to judge a flight model when you do not have hands on experience in the real thing but it is not bad I think. I like the VC and the soundset. Just a pity there are not many repaints available, maybe because there is a texture mapping issue with the inside of the left main gear door.

TrafficPilot
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TrafficPilot »

Thanks for the quick reply Henk. Despite the lack of repaints I may go for it anyway, especially seeing it has a TSS soundset :D

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I have it also. I'm not an expert on fast jets, but I find that it handles very well. Worth the money in my opinion.

:)

adamp89
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by adamp89 »

I have it, and for someone who likes the 'Jump in and Fly with a little bit of realism' aircraft, then it is a great aircraft to fly with a great vc and doesn't hurt the fps too much.

TrafficPilot
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TrafficPilot »

Great pics 511Flyer! Definitely buying it now :)

TrafficPilot
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TrafficPilot »

adamp89 wrote:I have it, and for someone who likes the 'Jump in and Fly with a little bit of realism' aircraft, then it is a great aircraft to fly with a great vc and doesn't hurt the fps too much.
Thanks adamp89 going to buy as soon as I get home tonight :)

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Yeah, I've got this, too. I've had it several months, but I only just started flying it regularly and I'm happy with it.

As others have said, it would be nice to have more schemes - and some nice F.2A ones wouldn't go amiss - but apart from that, it's a fun fly.

I recently built an F6/F2A large scale Lightning model and had one of those high-detail photo-etch cockpits in it - I thought the JF cockpit was very similar to it.

TrafficPilot
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TrafficPilot »

Bought and installed the Lightning last night. Have emailed Just Flight support with some questions - wondering if any of you who also own the Lightning have noticed that..

The balance ball appears to operate in the opposite direction to what it should (was also a fault on the Tristar apparently..). Finding it impossible to do a balanced turn (slip ball remains out to the left or right despite rudder input).

I can't see the afterburner effects :( Could this be because I'm using FSX with DX10?

Have any of you tried the "alternative flight dynamics" pack available on the Just Flight website?

In the manual they go on about using the "crabbing technique" on approach in a crosswind but their description is more akin to the "wing down" technique. How do you land your Lightning in a crosswind?

Would appreciate your thoughts! Love the sounds and the handling seems very sensitive which is nice.

Adam

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

As far as I can remember my CFI at the gliding club back in the 70s was a lightning pilot at Binbrook and during one discussion when talking of cross wind landings in general he said that he just used rudder on approach but maximum cross wind was around 25 kts.

Hope this helps.

If Peter happens to come along he would be able to advise as he had experience of lightnings as a simulator instructor when on ground tour.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.