The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Intel Q or Intel E?

Post by DaveB »

Err.. I see! :-O

:lol: :lol:

Cheers mate ;) I'll have to see exactly what my Q is and try something appropriate :cpu: It has to be said, it's running things pretty well 'as is' but any improvement is welcome ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Anders Nielsen
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Anders Nielsen »

Hi,

Hmm interesting. Maybe we should start a new forum thread; “Us with vintage rigs running FSX” ;)

I am actually a bit surprised how well my OC´ed AMD Phenom II rig handles FSX. Ultralong hauls like 17-19 hours with the CS 777-200LR no problem.
Especially seen in the light that some folks with more modern rigs than mine complain about low performance *-)

Best Regards,
Anders

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's right mate though I'm certain much has to do with the type of flying you do. Having a 64bit OS is key to going above and beyond what's possible on a 32bit OS for no other reason than being able to access more ram though it doesn't guarantee a fault free life. Flying comparatively low on VA flights using old bangers visiting small airports.. I could probably get away with 2 flights on WinXP SP3 32bit. Keeping the sim open and booking another flight.. I could pretty much guarantee an OOM at some point in the 3rd flight. I've not done any VA flights on the 64bit OS so it'll be interesting to see how much further I can go.. that is, how many more short haul flights I can cram in before it dies :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Dave, I don't know if my brain is up to handling the answers, but:

A. how do you know which of your cores is doing what?

B. how do you know if you're OOM?

Ben's helpful suggestion put the icing on the cake; d/l that tool, it asked me if I wanted to "Load CPU"? I thought it was fixed in place already....there were numbers...lots of numbers....

I suppose all that "affinity" stuff is what FSPS FSX Booster is supposed to do for us. I recently upgraded to 2013 version, now it wants me to supply a verification number, and I can't remember where I bought the upgrade.

Yesterday's posts mangled my scrambled mind :stupid:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike..

Well, the whole point of the affinity stuff is that you can tell the sim which cores to use so you know which ones are doing what.. as much as you can anyway.

As far as knowing when you're OOM.. that's easy. FSX comes up with a box stating your system is out of available memory.. FSX will now close. There are no options.. the sim shuts down :)

DaveG pointed out (and he's absolutely correct) that FSX will use all available cores from SP2/ACC onward. Point with affinity is that you can specify how many cores it uses so you can leave one available for running other stuff.. like your OS for example :lol: I looked at mine with Resource Manager (built into Win7) and it showed core 0 blitzed.. 100% while cores 1, 2 and 3 were showing similar levels of activity but well under capacity.

Put simply.. it's all Greek to me :dunno: :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

It's worth noting that FSUIPC has a low memory warning built in. If it detects you're running low it "bings" at you so you've got chance to save the flight before FSX goes t!ts up.
Dave G.

Anders Nielsen
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Anders Nielsen »

Hi,

I´m so new in the MSFS community, that I haven´t tried anything but Vista and 7, both 64 bit in FS9/X. Vista was a mess, and 7 was a giant relief, so Vista was soon forgotten.

I have also heard, that some of the secrets to FSX stability is 64 bit OS because it can address more memory. With Windows 7-64 bit and 4GB+ RAM, OOM should really be history. There are fixes for that if it still comes up. The last crashes I had with FSX was about 8 months ago, I think, and it was most likely associated with an overheated GPU. Increasing fan speeds, vacuum cleaning and reorganizing in the cabinet solved that one.

Yet, I haven´t tried to finish a flight, and start up a new flight without reboot. After a 10 hour or longer haul, I really need a break from simming for a while..

BR,
Anders

TangoEcho
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TangoEcho »

The problem is you are running out of Virtual Address Space not ram. In 32 bit VAS is 4gb, 2 for the system and 2 for program. In 64 bit you get 4gb for the program. Reducing the LOD is a must if your system cannot cope. Also heavy A/C (PMDG etc) in the mix will also have a major effect. Play with the sliders and LOD etc in the .cfg until you get your nominal level.

Hope this helps, I have just recently been instructed in this.
Regards

Tom

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

As Tom says, it's the VAS (virtual address space) that's the problem. As FSX is a 32bit program it's limited to 4gb, regardless of the operating system, or how much actual ram is installed. With a 64bit OS and over 4gb RAM FSX can get it's full allowance, but obviously you can still break it :lol:

DX10 mode helps to reduce VAS, although that comes with it's own issues.
Dave G.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Well, that explains a few things.
I'm running W7 Home Premium with 6Gb RAM and nvidia GTX560, Intel i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz, so OOM doesn't come up.

The crashes that I've been having seem to relate to "a sub processor not receiving a clock interrupt within the allocated time"
This can happen within seconds of cold start, or after hours of running. I thought I had it licked a couple of times, once with clean up software, then again by unplugging connections and removing dust. It teases me for a day, then goes back to its ugly ways. :dunno: