Product updates

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Product updates

Post by J0hn »

I used to use AVSIM as a quick way to see if any new updates had been released for any of the many payware products I've bought over the years, without having to spend a lot of time trawling around the web looking at all the individual publishers or developer's sites.

Since I got fed up of all the issues that AVSIM throws at me (logs in one day, not the next, doesn't accept log in details even though they are stored by FF etc etc) I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites that show this kind of info in a simple and clear manner. i.e. without having to either jump through hoops or with a crowded page with 'info' all over the place.

It would be very useful :agree:

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Product updates

Post by DaveB »

Hi JD :)

I don't know of any designated site that would show available updates for payware products.. I tend to rely on the vendors letting me know. Whenever I buy from say FSPS or Simmarket, I always tick the box to be notified when product updates are available. TBH though.. this seems to be hit and miss and more often than not, I find updates by accident 8) I dunno if they still do it but Simmarket used to flag updates for downloaded products in the 'My Products/My Purchases' section but that's not exactly a notification. To be fair.. Simmarket is the only vendor I've ever received an update notification from.

Good luck in your quest ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Thanks Dave.

I only seem to get to know about updates when a publisher wants to sell me something else! AVSIM didn't cover everything, but there were often items included on their front page.

The only one that has sent me several notifications is Capt Sim - but even then, as you say, it's hit and miss.

I'm now trying to build a database of all of my product's version numbers and then I'll make it a task to investigate updates every now and then, at the publisher's own websites. It isn't always easy to get version numbers, though, and some companies, such as Just Flight, just have a bunch of updates, fixes or patches or whatever on a page and you don't know if you need them all or in which order to install them.

Oh well, I do tend to just live with bugs, but it's always nice to have the updated stuff.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. I forgot about CaptSim. I get mails from them but the end result usually means me having to part with money for the update :lol:

We had a chap join not so long ago who has his own site dedicated to FS covering everything from payware to freeware. I wish I'd have bookmarked the site now as it was cram packed with invaluable links :wall:

As an aside.. I started keeping a file on my pc called 'Registrations' as I was pee'd off with reinstalling stuff and not being able to find the reg key without trawling through my emails. Everytime I buy something, I made an addition to Registrations noting the product, vendor (should I need to chase them up) and any reg key. It's saved me a gallon of time many times. Might be worth starting one of your own. I could, should the need arise, keep it updated with 'updates' but these are usually marked and I tend to keep a publishers products in their own folder so I can see what updates I have :) Seems far too organised for me I know :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Like Dave, I have a library of purchase details & codes, though somehow I d/ld a new version of Booster 2013 from FSPS, which I cannot find codes for.
I tick update boxes too, out of desire not to miss anything going free. What I don't get is why there are sometimes patches etc for "brand new" d/ls to be applied immediately. You discover them when something isn't right and you plough through the FAQ. :rant:

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Thanks for the tips

I do have an admin folder, where all purchases etc are kept record of, but I also have one which covers the vast majority of my codes. Usually I also keep a notepad file of the codes with a particular publisher's products, too (all in their own folders, nice and organised :lol: ) but most of these don't actually mention the version numbers.

With this new installation of P3Dv2, I've started up an rtf file on my desktop and added any installed add-ons into it, with the version numbers so at least I'll know the versions of what I'm actually using, when I go looking for updates. *-) . I actually started that file because I have a nasty habit of installing something and then forgetting all about it! :S