Tristar Nostalgia

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Tristar Nostalgia

Post by VEGAS »

Lovely that... :agree:

Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Many years ago, we went down to Kefalonia in a Tristar that was leased by Thomson Holidays. It was all white, so I don't know who it belonged to, or what colours it had carried previously.

We were bused out to the aircraft from the North terminal at Gatwick, so it took a long time to load up. Whilst we were waiting, a fella who looked very much like Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses, was wandering around at the front of the aircraft. It transpired that he was our captain!

The flight had gone smoothly, and the captain announced that he would be carrying out a manual landing. Now the runway at Kefallinia is not very long, and has the sea at both ends. So I held my breath a little. Needless to say, Uncle Albert set it down as if on eggshells, and stopped well before the end of the runway.

My only flight in a Tristar, but a memorable one.

:thumbsup:

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Mmmm , Chaps this is worrying , white Tristar eh ? During my second secondment to Caledonian Airways [ British Airtours was wound up after BA bought BCAL ] I flew 't Tristar , and we rented in from '' Peach Air '' an all white hull .... G-CEAP [nicknamed Cheeep ] which in a former life had been G-BEAL on of our mainline fleet . Certainly did several Preveza - Kefalonia trips . They would always be a manual landing [ 90 + % of airline landings are ] as it was only a VOR approach , and certainly :RN: would be thrown out early .
As to '' Uncle Albert '' .......mmmmmm was usually linked with Hale or Pace with white beard ... judge for yourself in this Yorkshire airlines clip ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQR_s4yz3d8
Only with a faded Naarfick accent , and if not at work then certainly related to '' Compo '' .

At risk of getting my coat , that's 2 Queen's of the sky Tristar and an ATP ....'specially in Landor colours :hide: , was always proud to work in that livery . But NEVER in those world colours .... caused lots of delays as ATC , MT drivers , even crews did not know if BA was '' in yet '' and thus did not turnround promptly !

ATB dave f .

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Hi Davef, I searched for G-CEAP and found that it went into storage in 1998. We went to Kefalonia for the first time in 1995, and in fact have returned every year since then. Sometimes twice a year. It was September this year.
For several years, we flew with Britannia Airlines, who were the main carriers for Thomsons back then. I well remember the furore when the duty frees were cancelled. The aircraft were painted with slogans bemoaning it.

Cheap drinks, free meals, free newspapers, free headphones, free films, free music, and polite and efficient stewards/stewardesses. Plus, a visit to the flight deck? Certainly sir! Now? Pay for everything, Cabin Crew, who may or may not, be having a bad hair day. A visit to the flight deck? No chance!

"Uncle Albert" might have been a slight exaggeration, but the captain was a short guy with longish grey hair and a beard. A jovial type, but appeared most anxious to get everybody on board quickly. I seem to remember that we were a little bit late in departing.

I know! I expect this to happen. :OT: