Is there another way of installing VFR Scenery?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Is there another way of installing VFR Scenery?

Post by DaveB »

There's a simple answer here.. I've no idea what's going on.

I don't have SE and I don't have a Win10 rig running FSX or SE. There are certain 'Rules' regarding where stuff should be installed (or not installed) under Win7 and before using FSX (box) but I've really no idea if the same applies to Win10 and/or SE. Installing from DVD under Win7.. you do not have to add the scenery manually.. the install process does this for you. I'm presuming with FSX:SE.. the same doesn't apply. Assuming my install (Ver2 with Ver3 updates) adds slightly to the overall install process.. I've just checked my Horizon folder and included the Backup file, Demo file and Vol's 1 thru 3 and it came to 98.1GB (99.4gb on disc) and while this includes Treescapes.. there's no way that Treescapes triples the size on disc.

As a further check, I've pulled my new ver 3 boxes out of the jiffy and they state 18gb of disc space is required for each install (vols 1, 2 and 3) making 54gb in all (if you take the instructions on the boxes at their word). Considering your comment that it's all there at 29gig.. I'd hazard a guess that it's not.

What you really need is someone who's installed this onto SE and unfortunately.. I aint he.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Installation into SE is exactly the same as FSX. In fact I copied my scenery.cfg from FSX into FSX-SE.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That answers one question.. cheers George :thumbsup:

Are you using VFR v3 by any chance?
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

DaveB wrote: Are you using VFR v3 by any chance?
ATB
DaveB B)smk
Yes. However, I have all of England an Wales in one scenery area and the other six volumes in six separate areas.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Drat.. ok matey :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Colin,
Tried to install Vol1 V3 to Steam, but the installation disk said it found FSX at blah, and before I knew it, it was uninstalling the existing Vol1 I guess I must have said OK. I was cooking dinner and not giving it my full attention.
Anyhow, I now have a fresh install of Vol1, and can confirm what DaveB said, it is automatically added to the scenery library, in W7 at least.
At the start of the install, btw, everything was ticked, and all Day, Night, .6m, 2.4m ..... and vectors etc, copied in sequence. There was no chance of vectors or anything else being missing.
If it may help, I might buy FSX Steam and put it on Mrs Airspeed's W10 system, and try adding Vol1 on that.

FWIW:https://fsxinsider.com/fsx-steam-editio ... 10-update/
Last edited by Airspeed on 13 Mar 2016, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mike..

Can you tell how much disc space Vol1 has taken as a check to see if everything has 'hit the deck' on Colin's rig?
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave
A picture's worth etc...

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Thanks everyone for your ongoing interest and support!!

The manual for Vol 1 says for a fill installation would will require 30Gb…. And that’s the size of the folder it has created so I’m assuming all is installed ok.

Now a new possibility…

Before I scrapped my old PC (Win 7 with FSX SE) I removed the HD and can access it. The FSX installation is complete (and the scenery library virtually the same) so I could extract the Scenery Cfg and try a transplant?? The only thing was I had the scenery installed on a different drive so I would presumably need to edit the file paths?

Is it worth trying (and of course backing up the original)? If so, where do I find the scenery cfg?

The other really confusing point is that Vol 2 (Midlands) installed without a hitch and is working fine!! (but it was an original Horizon not Playsims release).
Thanks

Colin Bear

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Just checked my folder properties and they are exactly the same as Airspeed's.... same size and same number of files...
Thanks

Colin Bear