Avoiding Windows 10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Avoiding Windows 10

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Well, It looks like I've survived. Following much effort in deleting certain Windows updates and then 'hiding' them, I've managed to hang on to my beloved Windows 7 64 Bit Pro beyond the 29 July deadline for the free downgrade.
One interesting point, is that throughout Microsoft's despicable campaign to get everyone to change to Windows 10, I never received any notification of updates to Windows 7. Since the deadline has passed, Windows 7 update notification has returned ( I never actually missed any updates, as I knew how to check for them manually).
I would far, far, far rather pay for an operating system every few years which was free from advertising and included useful programs such as Windows Media Player, than get the system for free but lacking said components.
Microsoft - WAKE UP!
Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Avoiding Windows 10

Post by Airspeed »

Me too, Kevin!
Though I haven't received any updates yet, the old W7 rolls on.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Hurrah! Same here, I was getting sick of that blinking GWX.exe icon reappearing several times a day. Now it is gone.
Alex

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

But now M$ have issued an updated service agreement that will probably need a lawyer to understand the implications!!!!
Keith

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Well,

I bit the bullet and upgraded to Window 10. Absolutely no regrets, it's easily as good as Windows 7 if not better. I wouldn't have less than the Pro edition though - it lets you tweak things more easily. I must say I don't like the new games pack. I haven't actually noticed any advertising, I just don't like the look of it. Might get around to installing the classic games pack from Windows 7 after I finish watching the news on Windows Media Center.

Paul

Actually I have two regrets. I lost my run of over 2000 unbeaten games on FreeCell, and the Americans' inability to spell Centre properly.
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

I don't understand everyone's issues with W10. I made the move from W7 to W10.1 almost a year ago. Couldn't be happier, FS9 runs at 60 fps with all the sliders full right and 100 % traffic ( in windowed mode, much slower in full screen) with lots of addon scenery. Since all my flying is "Cal Classic" age, I have never moved to FSX so I can't address those issues.

It did take a while to find all the renamed utility programs and such but they are all still there, though often with different names or locations. I run from a desktop shell that looks and acts exactly as XP did. The new Edge browser looks and acts just like Chrome although I run Firefox as default. Turned off all of the so called "APPS" and run programs from icons as before. The security system and firewall programs are robust and stable, and seem to do a good job on protection.

This is on a fairly low end Lenova desk top with a second generation I 5 processor, 265 watt ps, upgraded with 16 GZH memory and a fanless NVidia gt 730. With exception of a HD failure 4 months ago, I have had absolutely no problems with the OS. I have not had a single crash or lockup since replacing the HD.

I've used almost every Windows OS from 2.0 and this is the best of the lot. I loved XP but this is better, no more crashes, hangups or Blue Screen of Death. The only program I have not been able to install is my (legal) MS Office 2000, the system no longer recognizes the license code. I've found a better program in "Open Office" and it's freeware to boot.

Give it a try

Hy

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I agree with Paul. The PC I use for FS upgraded itself one day and though I would try it for a bit to at least find a reason before I revert it but could not. FS9/FSX/P3D all work fine for me and it can address more memory than W7HP (I had upgraded from 8GB to 24GB but W7HP can only address 16GB, but W10 can use all of it.) From what I have read W10 is requires less resources to run compared to W7 and W8. My opinion, do not fear W10.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.