Meteor F.8/FR.9

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Meteor F.8/FR.9

Post by DaveB »

WH..

Didn't go to Culdrose.. chose Benbecula instead (continuing on from Valley). No sign of generator failure but to be honest.. I can't see where a failure might show. Without the benefit of RTFM.. I can't see a generator switch or warning lights and I have looked believe me. All my instruments are still working.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

DaveB wrote:WH..

Didn't go to Culdrose.. chose Benbecula instead (continuing on from Valley). No sign of generator failure but to be honest.. I can't see where a failure might show. Without the benefit of RTFM.. I can't see a generator switch or warning lights and I have looked believe me. All my instruments are still working.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
My flight was in the PNW from KOLM to KSKA, some 218 miles over the Cascades. I noticed on the first trip that the GPS and VOR pointer went kaput. So I used my keyboard shortcut to see if it was the generator or the battery. It was the generator/alternator.

At first I wasn't sure if I had not followed the startup procedure per the manual. So I repeated the flight, and it happened again about 30 minutes into the flight as I was making my approach.

I suspect that everyone may have different results based on their default flight. Mine is the stock Cessna with all but the magnetos turned off so whenever I start a flight I'm in a natural "cold and dark" state. The Meteor startup requires using their "cold & dark" switch followed by the GRND to FLT switch for the generator/alternator, but that still doesn't turn on the alternator/generator. I believe this was an earlier issue with the Hawk.

Anyways, its been reported via support ticket.

--WH

ianjenm
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ianjenm »

Does the service pack address anything other than the forementioned texture issues?
I've flown this a few more times and had the generators go out once too but I haven't been able to repeat that even though I've done flights of a similar length.
I still think its a bit overpowered and that the fuel consumption is less than what it should be for a very early centrifugal turbojet but that's just my "seat of the pants" feeling.
I've also recently noticed the EGT gauge shows a largish difference between the left end right engines when I'm flying.
I sent a ticket to JF about the machmeter reading high (previous post) and the issues I've described above but haven't heard anything back yet.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Service pack details:
What's new in this update?

Interior nacelle main spar and engine details now black.
Denser, darker glass on camera windows for the FR.9 models.
Black detailing in camera bay.
Paint correction on airbrakes for VZ467 aircraft.
Smaller navigation lights all models.
Increased ambient occlusion shadow on wheel mudguards.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a generator switch on the Meatbox. They're engine driven so when the engines run.. you get electricerals :) Sitting with the F3 PN's in front of me (now).. there is no generator indicator either (failure or otherwise) so I guess you just had to suck it and see. I'll fly the Meatbox some more to see if I can get a failure.
BTW.. my startup is default Cessna with engines running.

I've been meaning to throw a fuelburn meter on it as I too think it's burning a little lean. Many of these things fell out of the sky cause they ran out of fuel but you'd go a fair old way in this one. Not sure if the external tanks are coming into play but thinking back.. I think WH said that these were remmed out so we should just be using internal fuel.

Some of the gauges are alien to me but I can't say if they're wrong or just newer versions as I don't have an F8 manual. It's all 'much of a muchness' really. Most of our jets look the same inside and have the same instruments :lol:

Anywho.. back from work so more fiddling ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

If the generator is ON with your default flight, it will be on with the Meteor. Mine are OFF with my default flight along with other switches so I always start in a "cold & dark" state. Consequently, the generator is OFF and stays OFF when I switch to the Meteor. Change your default flight with all systems OFF before switching to the Meteor and see if you run out of battery due to a failed alternator/generator.

Yes, if you open the aircraft.cfg file and look at the [fuel] section you will see that external fuel loads are remmed out. You can always set the external fuel load to 0% when not using the external tanks. (Would be nice if they had an XML that did that automatically)

One more note. Someone on SOH posted an entry for additional VC lighting. During a very, very dark night flight I couldn't see the switches because there was no flood lighting. So this helps. You can add this to the [lights] section:

light.0 = 4, 9.180, 0.0, 2.720, fx_vclight

I'm using another lighting effect (green) to compliment the UV lighting effect.

--WH

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ah.. I see. So C&D isn't activating the generator. The Pilots Notes say that engine 1 should be started first as this is the one with the generator/Acc connected. There is provision for a generator warning light though the PN's state (where fitted). It also mentions a low pressure warning light which I've not seen.

Lets go and have a look ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

OK.. there's definitely a problem with C&D (using the one-shot switch). I didn't last as long as the electrical power going.. that or it had already gone. The intention was to take-off and just fly until the power drained. Rather than hang on to the stick, I tried putting the AP on and the AP wouldn't activate. Heard a clicking noise but the switches didn't move and no blue pwr light.

Reset the flight to the default Cessna (running).. chopped to the same model and tried again. AP functioning fine.

Another one for the list me thinks!!

EDIT: Oh.. concur with the EGT disparity too ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

F8 generator warning lamps - googling for cockpit photos show that the Hendon F8 does not have them, but the Australian F8 (with all the latest goodies for gps & transponders etc) does show two gene lamps in the same position as my U16 model, i.e. centre panel bottom right below the fuel gauges. There is also a photo of a F4 which has them in the same position - why is the Hendon example without I wonder?
I didn't know that F8's had an autopilot - unless converted to U16's or U21's!
Looking at the screenshots, the aft fuselage looks wrong in the roundel area - it's too flat sided & the roundel is distorted.
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello mate..

As mentioned above, the F3 PN's state 'where fitted' for the generator lamps so I guess it's something that wasn't seen as that important. It would be to me though :lol:

The F8 didn't have an AP.. I don't think any 'in service' Meteors did. It's something AH added ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage