Few Questions Regarding Internet Security

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Few Questions Regarding Internet Security

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well I'm finally on-line but I am a little bit rusty with what settings I should have for internet security. Have downloaded the freeware Avast anti-virus and that went in OK but my main concern is overall protection. I have Windows Firewall set to on which appears OK but with Windows Defender when I click on it I get a message This program is turned off if you are using another program that checks for harmful unwanted software, use the Action Centre to check the program status, if you would like to use the program click here to turn it on. When I click on that I get This program is blocked by group policy, for more information contact your system administrator Thats me!!! :doh:

I take it then that Windows Defender will not work whilst I am running the firewall?

Also I have had Windows update running for the past hour with the heading checking for updates but not showing anything in the way of progress, it has been about nine months since my computer was last updated but even then it dide not take an hour. Any ideas? Or is there another way to check for updates to make sure that they are being installed. Equally at the bottom of the page it says Internet Protected Mode Off On my intenet settings they are all set to medium high! :dunno:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Few Questions Regarding Internet Security

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Nige..

No.. I'm sure the problem with Defender is that you've downloaded and installed Avast.. nothing to do with your firewall. It's not the 'done thing' to run 2 AV's at the same time so Defender has stepped back. TBH.. I don't think there's anything wrong with Defender.. especially for home use.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave and many thanks but I have only downloaded Avast Anti Virus, does this mean that it will stop defender from working?

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello mate..

In a word.. yes. Two AV's may co-exist but they won't (shouldn't) run at the same time so only one is active. Similar will happen with browsers. While you may have 3 or 4 installed.. only one can be the default.. LIVE version. You say you've only downloaded AVAST but you must have installed it otherwise Defender would still be the 'active' AV ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Hi Nigel.

Regarding the "update" - is it windows 7?

IA while back I got fed up of Windows 10 just doing what it pleased and decided to go back to Windows 7. When it came to updates, all went well up until Service pack 1 - then after that it would search for updates and was still searching after at least 24 hours.

I considered it a fiendish plot by microsoft to force me back on to Win 10.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Hi Nigel and Graham,

Nigel, which version of Windows are you running?

Over the past couple of weeks I have completely wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 on two different computers. This is reformatting the hard disc with the system software and installing the system and then all programs from scratch. My Windows 7 Home Premium disc is pre service pack 1 and hundreds of updates have to be installed. This is a process that involves a lot of bad language. :rant:

BACKUP ALL DOCUMENTS AND STUFF TO KEEP BEFORE FORMATTING THE DISC. :)

There is a problem with the update program itself which happens after an update just after installing service pack 1. The update program stops working properly, it continues searching for updates ad infinitum and never finds anything. This happens with both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows 7.

The answer is to manually download and install a newer version of update. If you search Microsoft Support it will first point you to the download of the bad update agent. :wall:

The newer one is on this page. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Scroll down to find the version you need. Make sure your bad version of update is not running before installing this newer version.

Nigel, I stopped using Avast or AVG and now just use Microsoft Security Essentials which handles anti-virus for Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Available here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-download

I haven't had any problems with viruses and it seems to be less intrusive than Avast and especially AVG.

I hope this helps.

Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigel.

Regarding the "update" - is it windows 7?
Hi Graham :hello: Yep, still have Windows 7 and quite happy with it so no plans to go to Win10.

Hi Jon :hello: (every-one now gets a wave) :lol: :lol: just downloaded the link you provided but did find out that Microsoft Windows Update are experiencing problems, had to phone Martin who runs a computer shop on a different matter and mentioned that I was having problems, he informed me just to keep Windows Update running in the background as it took him 24 hrs to update a customers computer :-O :doh: :wall: So will keep mine on for some time it appears.

Dave, :hello: Have uninstalled Avast and now just running Windows Defender and trying to update that at the moment so many thanks.

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No prob Nige ;)

Is it actually Defender you have or MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)? TBH.. they look identical. I have Defender on my Win10 laptop and tablet (they came with it) and MSE on this pc (Win7 Ultimate). Curious as I thought Defender came in with Win8 onward *-) No matter ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Nigel H-J wrote:
Hi Jon :hello: (every-one now gets a wave) :lol: :lol: just downloaded the link you provided but did find out that Microsoft Windows Update are experiencing problems, had to phone Martin who runs a computer shop on a different matter and mentioned that I was having problems, he informed me just to keep Windows Update running in the background as it took him 24 hrs to update a customers computer :-O :doh: :wall: So will keep mine on for some time it appears.

Regards
Nigel.
I'm a bit impatient. ;) Maybe it will sort itself out in the end. :)

I think Microsoft Security Essentials for Vista and 7 became Defender with 8. They seem to be the same thing.

Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Is it actually Defender you have or MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)? TBH.. they look identical.
In my Control Panel it shows up as Windows Defender so presume then that must be it. Suppose that it is possible when Vista finished so did MSE?
I'm a bit impatient. ;) Maybe it will sort itself out in the end. :)
Hi Jon, I am a bit like that as well so just going to leave it on and hope.....

Regards
Nigel.