The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Re: X-Plane 11 My Verdict

Post by grumpyoldb »

Cheers, I'll have a look at them.
I have quite a few old hard drives but they are getting a bit too old to be trusted.

New build desktop has a 350gb sshd and a 120sshd for all my downloads but the 120 needs to get a bit bigger.
Steve.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Some time ago in this thread I wrote about the controls being far too sensitive and still feel the same about it but on searching through some forums there were a number of suggestions which mean't downloading third party software, I did not want to go down that road and as I have a Logitech 3D Pro I went to the manufacturers site and downloaded the Logitech Profiler.

I first calibrated my joystick through the programme and selected X Plane 11 as a profile. On setting up the individual Axis Properties, it has sliders for Sensitivity, Dead Zone and Range. set it all up but then found that when in X Plane one axis did not work, then after some changes to the profiler a different axis then refused to work and after a bit of faffing about I managed finally to get it working with X Plane.

When in the aircraft the controls still only appear to move fractionally but I have found that I have to move my joystick further than before so I think by using the profiler has improved the handling (to my mind) of the aircraft. I still have all the control sensitivities all the way to the right in X Plane. Does anyone else has the Logitech Profiler?

Would be nice if Laminar made more advanced control settings to suit individual preferences though.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Here's those images I was promising. Two sets - the first is on approach to the Moroccan coast then a couple of views of Tangier. The eagle eyed will notice Tangier airport in the third image and in common with most other airports I've seen you have to look carefully to spot them. You may also notice that aircraft I'm flying isn't under power - that's because there's a bug in XP-11 that doesn't reset the fuel levels when starting a new flight in the same aircraft. The first time it happened I managed a dead-stick landing back at Gib. The second time I found the appropriate menu item to add fuel - shortly before I was going to get my feet wet.

https://imgur.com/gallery/akNnNI8

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Another set from XP-11. This time starting at Innsbruck then a short hop south to Bolzano. As before this is with X-Europe V2 installed and Ortho tiles for the area of the flight. You'll notice the odd dark patch in the 3rd image. This is a common problem associated with satellite images were images are taken at different seasons. Anyhow enjoy - my 4Tb drive has arrived so time to get the case open and chuck it in!

https://imgur.com/gallery/RXtsafY

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

The new HDD is in but I've had to sacrifice the DVD drive for the time being. The problem is that I have an M2 SSD that shares two of the 6 SATA ports so they cannot be used with an M2 installed. Bit of a pain but newer motherboards don't have this problem so I think that's the path I'll go down. The DVD drive doesn't get used much these days but they are still handy to have around.

Currently copying a load of files to the new drive - this could take a while.

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

Installed the demo on my desktop PC and I'm still impressed by the UI. Managing keyboard and button assignments is so much better thanks to those filtered lists. Up and running in no time.

Cranked all the sliders up to their maximum and was rewarded with a slide show, even on my GTX1060. :lol:
With scenery shadows off, objects to "High" and 2xSSAA, however, the result is 30 FPS at SEA with 100% X-Life AI and awful weather. :thumbsup:

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Nice one Bjoern. I have a 1060 (6Gb version) and it runs XP very well.

I'm going to be building some USA Ortho scenery soon(ish). My disk copy is still going strong - only another hour and 15 mins or so to go so unlikely to get any stuff today. Might set a batch build up later to run overnight.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Lovely screen shots Chris and that scenery with Ortho and X Europe 2 makes it all the more interesting. Hoping next year to buy a new computer so that I can have a lot more Ortho and X Europe than at present.

Hi Bjoern, glad to hear that you got good frame rates with your system, even though mine is an i5 and some areas around London especially my frame rates can drop to below 20fps however, I do not get stutters it just keeps rolling along smoothly!

The assignments for buttons is easy though got me stumped once or twice when I typed in elevator trim in the search box.....then discovered it was the wrong term.....typing in 'pitch trim' works wonders!! :lol:

The menu for selecting aircraft and especially airports is so much better, gives you the layout of the airport and parking spaces to choose from so you can see exactly where you are going to spawn in at and also the layout of the taxiways before getting into the aircraft.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Another member of the GTX1060 club here, albeit in a laptop 🙂
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Batch build set up and running for Denmark and parts of Northern Germany - I blame "The Bridge".