How Long did BA fly the B727

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

How Long did BA fly the B727

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have to admit that I find the B727 an enjoyable aircraft to fly and downloaded a British Airway Livery for it even knowing that this livery and aircraft type were never on the fleet, or so I always thought until now.

Came across a video and later research brought this picture link below, so my question is how many of the B727's did BA fly as I cannot find any-more information even on their website Explore Our Past.https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... 10-present

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQCEHl ... e=emb_logo

Picture: British (Airways Comair Ltd): https://www.airliners.net/photo/British ... dv/2258381

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: How Long did BA fly the B727

Post by Vc Ten »

Googling tells me that in the year 2000, Comair had a fleet of 6 Boeing 727s. Says they are a British Airways franchise operating out of Jo.burg, and keep their aircraft in BA livery.
Regards
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Dale, thought it a bit strange on seeing the 727 in BA colours even though I have that paint scheme on the 727-200 in X-plane 11. Then again, I also have BA paint on the MD80 and boy, does it look good.

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Wouldn't have surprised me if BA had bought the 727 Our flag carrier had just everything else that came out of Seattle 8)
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Think they leased a couple and operated them out of Gatwick briefly?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

At least Dan Air bought 20 727's and looks quite neat in their livery.

https://www.danairremembered.com/boeing-727.php

Coming back to the British Airway 727 this is the one I have though until now I never really took any notice of what was written on the side of the cockpit nor did I take notice of the registration either!! Note to self.............Must get a life!! :poke: :lol:

Operated by Comair

Registration

Regards
Nigel.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Dale , BEA having messed up the design requirements for the HS Trident , then changed their minds and required 'wot the Trid. should have been in the first place !
They wanted to order 72s and 73s . Government said NO . You'll have T3s and 111s instead .
When they retired , BA went for 75s and 73s as no Brit /Eur design around . Big BA/Brit imput for avionics A/Land etc. to the 75 , and a lesser extent to 73. Although 73 ADV came from BA bad weather Ops requirements .

rgds dave f.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The original Trident proposal put forward by HS (DH) was almost identical in spec to the 727. In fact, had the original proposal been accepted there would have been no need for a boost engine in the T3 as there would have been no shortage of power from the Medway which was in development at the time and designed to have a similar output power to the Avon. BEA decided the proposal was too big (in various respects) so HS down sized it to the T1 spec and put the Spey's on it... It didn't take BEA long to realise they were wrong (again) and they needed a bigger aircraft, but the airframe couldn't be easily re-engined.

Later British success with the 1-11 and 146 were had by funding the ventures privately and having the confidence the the manufacturers had a better idea what the markets were doing than BEA / BA. Vickers had much success with the Viscount using this approach too.

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

It didn't take BEA long to realise they were wrong (again) and they needed a bigger aircraft, but the airframe couldn't be easily re-engined.
Who on earth employed these plonkers to run BEA? :doh:

Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The Government- nuff said 😁

ImageImageImage