Heat exchangers serious question

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Heat exchangers serious question

Post by Airspeed »

We've seen heat exchanger pumps used in houses on "Grand Designs".
Does anyone know if this could be used to extract heat from the oceans and fix two problems at once?

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Heat exchangers serious question

Post by Kevin Farnell »

From the 1st law of Thermodynamics, 'Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only converted or transferred'. As such.if you extract heat from the oceans, then you are only moving it to another location - most likely the atmosphere, which ultimately will re-heat the oceans.
It could be possible to extract heat from the oceans to heat houses, but this in itself would require energy to be expended, this would just be adding to entropy (see below), as does such things as burning fuel to power you car.

The 2nd law of Thermodynamics is related to 'entropy'. In simple terms, entropy describes the flow of the Universe from order to disorder (ever noticed how easy it is to make a mess, compared to the effort required to tidy up?). This is an inevitable consequence of the Universe. The Universe will always tend towards disorder. Any effort to stem the disorder will only increase the rate at which disorder progresses.

When I was studying for my 'A' levels (Chemistry. Physics and Biology) and still living at home, my Mom would often tell me off for the state of my bedroom. I just quoted the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics - I'm not sure she understood.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Mike, a couple of links that may be of interest. Here in Oz, the State Gummints were granted the monopoly of power supply , so that they would not impose State Income Tax. That was fine until 'privatisation' became the great political fashion. Now we have so many middlemen between the producer and the consumer that prices have gone through the roof. Somebody owns the generators; somebody else owns the wires, and yet another somebody owns the poles, and you have local providers trying to make a profit without having any control of the distribution. That is what has gone wrong in the UK
and the same situation is developing here in Oz. By coincidence, 'thatcher' is an old trade-derived name for a skilled craftsman who could put a cap (or roof) on your house and maintain it for decades. ;)
ATB, the other Mike in Qld.

https://www.ocean-energy-systems.org/oc ... al-energy/

https://www.makai.com/ocean-thermal-energy-conversion/

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

emfrat wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 08:52
Mike, a couple of links that may be of interest............

https://www.ocean-energy-systems.org/oc ... al-energy/

https://www.makai.com/ocean-thermal-energy-conversion/
Thanks for those links, Mike.

Proving that there'[s nothing new in the World, eh? (My "new" idea is at least 80 years old :$ )
I'm not surprised; I read recently about people measuring the speed of light in the 1800s, and they used the fact that different colours travelled at different speeds when they investigated whether the movement of the Earth affected the direction and speed of light. :-O :welldone:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 05:14
From the 1st law of Thermodynamics, 'Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, ...
It could be possible to extract heat from the oceans to heat houses, but this in itself would require energy to be expended....

The 2nd law of Thermodynamics is related to 'entropy'. In simple terms, entropy describes the flow of the Universe from order to disorder (ever noticed how easy it is to make a mess, compared to the effort required to tidy up?). This is an inevitable consequence of the Universe. The Universe will always tend towards disorder. Any effort to stem the disorder will only increase the rate at which disorder progresses.

When I was studying for my 'A' levels (Chemistry. Physics and Biology) and still living at home, my Mom would often tell me off for the state of my bedroom. I just quoted the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics - I'm not sure she understood.

Kevin
I certainly meant the recovered heat would be used instead of manufactured heat, and if they extract underground heat to use in houses, there must be relatively cheap methods, or they wouldn't do it. In my suggestion, the ocean gets cooled, and we don't pollute by generating electricity.
btw I heard that the universe is constantly expanding, so eventually everything will fall off the edge *-) ...it IS flat, isn't it? :dunno: