Our Queen has Passed Away

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Our Queen has Passed Away

Post by simondix »

airboatr wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 19:05
simondix wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 09:54
Managed to see the C17 carrying the Queen yesterday as it passed east of where I lived. Interesting if you turn it's reg around then upside down yoy get LLIZZ

Mike should give you an observer badge for that. :agree:
Sorry somebody else pointed it out to me.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I wondered a bit after I posted that how someone would've caught that..
:dunno: perhaps they were doing inverted hand stand push-ups.. they're good for circulating the blood you know.
I try to do 1 or 2 a month myself..

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Almost there! I took this yesterday, after queuing for 13 hours. Shortly after dark, the Union Jack was lowered, and replaced by the Royal Standard. The significance was immediately recognized, and the whole crowd burst into applause - it was just incredible. By the time we were inside Westminster Hall, the King had departed, but seeing Queen Elizabeth lying in state was worth every minute of the wait. She was monarch when I was born, and still monarch when I retired. I just had to say goodbye to her.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Paul K wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 13:59
Almost there! I took this yesterday, after queuing for 13 hours. Shortly after dark, the Union Jack was lowered, and replaced by the Royal Standard. The significance was immediately recognized, and the whole crowd burst into applause - it was just incredible. By the time we were inside Westminster Hall, the King had departed, but seeing Queen Elizabeth lying in state was worth every minute of the wait. She was monarch when I was born, and still monarch when I retired. I just had to say goodbye to her.
Well done Paul, wish I could have done it my self but don't think I could get there in time before it closes.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Thank you so much for sharing this, Paul. I can only imagine your experience. The American flags are all flying at half staff here. I've read that they'll stay at half staff for a total of 12 days.

Brian

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Very well done Paul. Its really great to see so many from all walks of life going to pay there respects.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Paul, many thanks for sharing your experience, I can only admire your resolve to queue for that length of time though you were among others with the same resolve as yourself, to pay your last respects to Her Majesty, the Queen.

Whilst she has gone she will not be forgotten like the Queen Mother herself, now re-united with her family and Prince Philip. Rest in Peace.

Regards

Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks all :)

On Thursday, I went up to Buckingham Palace and Green Park, where many thousands of floral tributes are being laid to the last head-of-state who served in World War 2. They were gathered around the bases of the trees, so you can read the cards, and this caught my eye. With the succession, we're hearing the word 'constancy' a lot - I think this is constancy, too.

It reminded me of my visit to the Bomber Command memorial just after it was opened by the Queen, and this dedication to the airmen of Poland:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Paul K wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 13:59
Almost there! after queuing for 13 hours.
Well done to you, Sir!
Unable to go myself, I've been watching the BBC livestream every now and again. Perhaps I saw you. The livestream is very interesting. There is a huge diversity of people, whether that be race, age, religion etc. Some were visibly upset, other just paid their respects quietly with a bow or a curtsy, whilst those in uniform saluted.
It's very moving and an obvious outpouring of love to such an incredible lady and an excellent Monarch.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

For those unable to attend the Lying-in State ceremony, there is an official on-line Book of Condolence here -

https://www.royal.uk/send-message-condolence

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...