Avro Canada Jetliner being built for FS

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Zoren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Zoren »

Hi Gary,

That is awesome. Please send me the image if you can to radked "at" sympatico.ca this account has a 2GB limit.

I do have a book by Jim Floyd called "The Avro Candad C102 Jetliner". It is a very good book so far with some nice pictures. Not too many cockpit ones, but enough to get a rough idea for the VC. The book is pretty cool as it talks about A.V. Roe and his start and then the move to Avro Canada.

Thanks for the help.

To answer Mulletman, yes there will be a VC, maybe not 100% realistic, but should be close enough to make flying from the VC enjoyable.

Zoren

Edit - Gary, what issue was that magizine? Maybe I can find a copy around here or at our local library. Our Warplane Heritage Museum may even have some copies.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Zoren

The magazine is number 68 they were some years ago now

It is an article on early jetliners The Jetliner being one mentioned and just happened to have that drawing in it which is a lovely base referece to the machine.

I will email my original scan it is about A4

So the title is

Take Off issue 68

Editorial Office

Aerospace Publishing Ltd
TAKE OFF
3a Brackenbury Road
London W6 0WE

Back numbers

Woodgate (Eaglemoss) Ltd
PO Box 1
Hastings
Sussex TN35 4TJ

The addresses may not be current as it was some years ago now but they may help the library to track them down as over here at least they always want to know the publisher or distributer and of course you don't know that :evil:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Zoren

Nice choice, there something very sedate about the Jetliner - and very sad - it will go down in History along with Arrow and the TSR2 as "If only"
Im looking forward to your release, and good luck with the VC - I am
sure there are some very talented folks here who will gladly give you
help.

Leif

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

Did the actual prototype (or a mock-up possibly?) appear in the old b&w British movie of 'Cone of Silence' that was made in the 1950's? It was representing a fictional first generation jet called the 'Phoenix'.

Actually, not a bad film although not as good as the book by David Beaty. The plot centres around take off 'unstick' problems 'a la' Comet at Rome and Calcutta(?) BOAC/CanPac respectively.)

Zoren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Zoren »

Gary,

Thanks for the info and the scanned picture. As soon as I am released from prison, oops I mean work, I will check. Why does real life get in the way of having fun.

Dragon,

It is very sad. Reading the book about it real opens your eyes to all the stuff that went on during that time. It is a shame that planes like these end up as house hold objects for making coffee or frying eggs.

Crisso,

I am not sure if the Jetliner was used in the movie or not. Haven't got that far in the book yet. That would be cool if it did. I do know Howard Hughs was very interested in it and even offered to pay for the permission to build the Jetliner in the States. So who knows, it is possible as they had the Jetliner flying from 1949 till about 1957, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for all the help. If anyone finds anything more, please let me know. Our little group can always use extra help.

Zoren

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Zoren..

I have a 4page article from Aeroplane a couple of years back. I scanned it for one of the forum members in the US though ended up posting him a copy of the magazine!! I still have the article somewhere I think so I'll pass that on too :wink:

[edit] I've since found the article and emailed it to you :wink:

ATB

DaveB :smt025
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Elliott Dobson
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Elliott Dobson »

I just thought of another reason why i like this plane: Its registration CF-EJD-X. EJD is my initials :grin:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Elliott Dobson wrote:I just thought of another reason why i like this plane: Its registration CF-EJD-X. EJD is my initials :grin:
Could you explain the "X" part?........ or perhaps better not :oops:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Zoren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Zoren »

Thanks Dave.

You guys sure are making it hard for me to stay at work. Only 5 more hours too go. (cough...cough)...oh no...starting to feel sick...must not pass out...maybe I should go home early... :razz:

Zoren

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Could you explain the "X" part?........ or perhaps better not Embarassed
Shows it was an experimental certification Garry - the US used to use NX
but now just require the word "experimental appear either side of the
cockpit and a placard inside - you would be amazed how many experimental aircraft there aer flying in the States :lol:
ie ALL Homebuilt aircraft are designated "experimental"

Oh and I think you will find the Aircraft in the "Cone of Silence" was
an Ashton - and for your bonus points what does the title of the movie
refer to???

Sorry returning the thread to its rightful place

Leif

:grin: