Super Guppy Cockpit

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

gwsimulations
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gwsimulations »

Here are a few screenshots.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

I hope to get it out soon, but there is still some work to do on the panel and VC. I also need to remodel the fuselage, as one polygon is playing up.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

DispatchDragon wrote:I was going to suggest the same thing - with the engine instruments from an Electra panel - seeing as they have the same engines :)
Actually, depends on which Super Guppy you're talking about. There was the original design with R4360's, the 377SG (NASA 940) with DARTs, or the 377GT that was put in service with ASL with the Allison 501D. Oddly enough, one of the 301GTs is now with NASA, replacing the now mothballed NASA 940.

More on the Guppy family can be found here - http://www.allaboutguppys.com/

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Chris

I think it was P&W T-34P7 Turboprop on the B377SG

Not Darts

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Now that you mention it, it may have been. One version of the Guppy family had Darts on it, I know that for sure.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I can't think of one with Darts

Only the radials and the more usual allisons plus this one.

Thing is, with the Guppy apart from the French ones which were a group of four the others were individual one offs with various changes.

Even the name Super Guppy applied to the French was wrong as they were Guppy 201.

It is impossible to generalised on the type as each one had a specific role it was built for. So to be sure you would need to see the cockpit of the actual aircraft. It would have made sense to keep as much of the original as possible but the years between manufacture and mod in itself would see changes apart from the engine issue.

Fascinating aircraft though and well worthy of FS attention.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Garry, I highly reccomend that you visit the website I referenced. It states that the French aircraft were designated the "Supper Guppy Turbine" with the initial designation of 377GT and then re-named the "Guppy 201".

gwsimulations
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gwsimulations »

To clarify on the models;

Aerospacelines B-377SG "Super Guppy": The original Super Guppy, powered by T-34 turboprops. One was built, and is stored at Pima AFB.

Aerospacelines B-377SGT-201 "Super Guppy Turbine": The two second-generation Super Guppys built in America. Powered by A501 engines.

Aerospacelines/UTA B-377SGT-201F "Super Guppy Turbine": As above, but built in France.

PS. I am making two models which will cover all versions - one for the SG, and one for both types of SGT, seeing as they were the same.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

gwsimulations wrote:To clarify on the models;

Aerospacelines B-377SG "Super Guppy": The original Super Guppy, powered by T-34 turboprops. One was built, and is stored at Pima AFB.
Actually, it's stored at Davis-Monthan AFB and was on display at the Pima Air Museum next door, however AMARC (Aerospace Maintenance And Regeneration Center, the agency that runs the boneyard) lists the aircraft as being on "Celebrity Row" inside the gates again (this will be the 2nd time it was placed there).

gwsimulations
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gwsimulations »

The most recent Airliners.net picture shows it at Pima, but this is a few months old, so it could well have changed. :k:

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Hi Graham!

Nice aircraft! Love the super guppy!

Have you tried a google image search for cockpit pics?
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"