Classic British AI

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Chris

By "Attacked" i'm pretty sure he ment you posted the heads up on more than one forum at once.

Not spamming (can't see the word Spam anywhere) :wink:

I searched through a few pages on your forum & could find very little information on which models where needed or how to find them or set them up.

That is all.

Also i can't remember who but i sent a finished G159 Gulfstream 1 suitable for Ai use to one of your members over a year ago and nothing ever came of it. (i saw a post on your forum asking for one).

Regards
Rick

BraniffCEO
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by BraniffCEO »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Guys

Any chance you could make these into packages with info on what model is used etc as they are not muxh use to me if they are not complete with the models listed.

I can find nothing at all!, no readme etc telling me who's model is used and where to get it and the listed livery. :think:

Sorry but some of us just are not Ai minded :worried:

Great idea but seem to assume we are all know what was used to make the files.

I am not knocking the project just saying it's audience would be massive if it was more descriptive & complete :wink:

Regards
Rick :wink:
There's been some internal debate about whether or not to offer these as packages complete with aircraft and compiled .bgls so it's just a case of moving the files into the appropriate folders. We decided against this for a couple of reasons. First is that some of the aircraft used in the 200 or so files we have have distribution limits - i.e., the authors don't want the model redistributed, they want you to obtain it from their site only. The other concern raised is that of personal preference - some people like the low-polygon-count AI models, while others with faster systems may wish to use some of the detailed flyable models such as David Maltby's or those from HJG. For that reason, it was decided to only offer the raw data, so that the user can modify the aircraft.txt file to suit their needs.
There is a readme included with the BEA '72 file that lists the location of the base files and the repaints. A lot of the previous files do not include readmes, but we pretty much have standard models that we use - ai-aardvark, CDAI, EvolveAI, Dee Waldron and Henry Tomkiewicz models, and all of the needed repaints are available on Avsim. This is really the first project that uses British aircraft (other than a couple of US airlines that flew the BAC 1-11), so it's charting new ground for us. All of these files, however, are easily compiled into .bgl files readable by FS using Traffic Tools.
If you have any further questions, you can try our forum on Simufly.com, as this is not my paying job (Though I really wish it was!), so I usually only check messages 1-2 times a day. But in the forum - just as in here - you may have someone who can answer your questions at a time when I'm not available. But I will try and check here again in the evenings (central US evenings) just in case.

BraniffCEO
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by BraniffCEO »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Bob

Thanks for that.

It helps as i had no idea as none of the flightplan downloads have any readme's etc which was the reason i posted.

Been through about 5 pages of the retro Ai forum too which was not much help.

Thanks for the pointer to the file , downloading from FS.com as i type.

Garry I agree but not looked in package yet & i think Dee also made some 400 & 500 models too so will have a good look.

There appears to have been some BEA flying Jack ai models uploaded to Avsim today so could be the ones specified in the flightplans.

Regards
Rick :wink:
If they are from Kurt Neidrauer, they are for the flight plans, he was the contributor of the BEA schedule. As far as information - I currently have not updated any part of Marc's original website beyond just adding the packages as they come in. It does assume you know how to compile files and all that, but recently - probably as a result of the site's growth and notoriety, I have been getting more questions about installations, etc. For that reason, I have decided to create an FAQ, as well as a links page to ai-aardvark and other sites where the flight models can be found. Generally speaking, we try to release repaints on Avsim at the same time the flight plans go up. Currently, our two major contributors are Kurt and Bob Hughes (BobH above) - they've been doing flight plans and repaints, so a good tip is if you see a flight plan - say Quebecair '73, which says "Submitted by Bob Hughes" - go to Avsim and put in a search like "Bob Hughes Quebecair", you'll find his Quebecair repaints. I'll cover all this in the FAQ.

BraniffCEO
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by BraniffCEO »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Chris

By "Attacked" i'm pretty sure he ment you posted the heads up on more than one forum at once.

Not spamming (can't see the word Spam anywhere) :wink:

I searched through a few pages on your forum & could find very little information on which models where needed or how to find them or set them up.

That is all.

Also i can't remember who but i sent a finished G159 Gulfstream 1 suitable for Ai use to one of your members over a year ago and nothing ever came of it. (i saw a post on your forum asking for one).

Regards
Rick
"Attacked" can have harsh connotations, that's why I asked. :) A G159 - I remember that thread, because there were a couple of people who wanted that plane. I know you didn't send it to me - it was probably Marc or Henry - I'll ask them if they have it. It's hard to find some of the older threads, as Simufly was hit by a hacker sometime last year an a whole load of posts were deleted. It was right around the time Dee discovered some software company in Colombia was pirating freeware AI models. You can send me the G159 if you want and I'll let the painters know it's available, if you want.

BraniffCEO
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by BraniffCEO »

Garry Russell wrote:Well

BEA didn't have BAC One-Eleven 200's

Doesn't Dee do a 500?

Garry
I checked, he doesn't - I could have sworn he did, as well. Kurt must have substituted the 200 because it was the only thing available. There's been a few (thankfully, just a few) where we've had to compromise, though we try to be as accurate as possible. There's a second compromise in the package in that you may also have noticed - it only has Trident IIs. I know BEA still had Trident Is in service in 1972 because of the infamous Staines crash that year involved a Trident I. Dee's pretty good about updating, however, so I'll ask him if he can do the 400 and 500 1-11.

Andy B
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Andy B »

As this forum contains many British folk, it would be a good idea to learn British humour unless you are British (in which case I'd be worried). :poke: "Attack" is the word I would have used too FYI.

BraniffCEO
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by BraniffCEO »

Andy B wrote:As this forum contains many British folk, it would be a good idea to learn British humour unless you are British (in which case I'd be worried). :poke: "Attack" is the word I would have used too FYI.
I'm quite familiar with it, and an avid fan, I've just never heard that word used in that context before, and I just wanted to be clear RetroAI only has the best interests of the freeware community in mind. Personally, I took no offense, I've been accused of and called a lot worse over the years - especially in that wasteground known as rec.aviation.simulators...

BobH
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Classic British AI

Post by BobH »

I've just been looking through my files and have found a 1-11 500 with a BEA texture listed as coming from JB Simulations. If it's still available it might be a possible alternative to the Dee Waldron model.
Bob

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Classic British AI

Post by Garry Russell »

BobH wrote:I've just been looking through my files and have found a 1-11 500 with a BEA texture listed as coming from JB Simulations. If it's still available it might be a possible alternative to the Dee Waldron model.
Bob
Of course the JB simulations

That's the one I was thinking of

Thanks Bob

ATB

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

Perhaps "attacked" WAS the wrong word. I certainly hadn't meant to imply you'd SPAMmed the interweb, I was just pointing out that a very short one line "notice" by a poster with the sum total of 3 or 4 posts may have just got a list of FS sites and hit each one with the advert (for that is what it is).

I also pointed out that because of this you may have hit up to 100 sites or more and going back through all of them looking for replies may take more than a couple of days.

Which is why I mentioned the email address.

That's all... :dunno:

LOL! I think it would have been a bit obvious if I'd had a pop at you!

Welcome to CBFS by the way. :smile: