ADI Glideslope Flags- VC10 & 1-11

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It helps me not one little bit mate but hopefully, the 'Maestro' will make some sense out of it :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

It should be fairly straightforward to make the flag work in a not dissimilar way to the three position VOR/ILS magnetic indicator and beam and G/P flags on the Smiths Flight System without having to list all those frequencies.

Fraser

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I thought that too Fraser. Looks a bit 'dirty' to me and can't help with the gauges fluidity. Hopefully, DM will raise his head above the parapet some time soon :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Hiya, Maltby 'ere.
Sorry I've not been in a forum mood recently. All FS time is going into the FSDS3 1-11 models, which have been taking an annoyingly long time to complete. :huf:

Since there will soon be a new FSDS3 1-11 (complete with ACME backlit gauges) I will have a look at including a mod to the panel for this too.
I'd never noticed there was a possible inaccuracy, but am quite happy that the 1-11 wants changing. I'll side with Tonks on the VC10 though.

From having a quick look around the net I'll go for an ILS range between 108.10 MHz and 111.95 MHz, unless anyone wants to change my mind. It should be easy enough to put into the code.

I also thought there was some similar issue dealt with on the Trident model but can't find any evidence of it now. Maybe it was all that business with stopping the RMI gauge from showing ILS signals ?? Can't remember now.

If I was a pilot I wouldn't have a problem with the GS flag showing any time there wasn't a GS signal. It seems to make good sense on the 1-11 units because it physically hides the GS pointer.
I can't see why it's better to uncover the GS pointer when it's not actually working, but if that's what it has to do, so be it.
Or should the GS pointer hide as well if it's not tuned to an ILS frequency?

Am I right in thinking that the units in the 1-11 are an American design? Maybe that's why the VC10 is different.

DM

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Dave :wink:

Agree on the flags too. It sort of makes it obvious to see flags in place doesn't it.

Yup.. it was the RMI issue on the Trident.

And finally.. yup.. the units in the 'standard' (non BA) 1-11's are Collins units which originate (I believe) from t'other side of the pond :wink: Units fitted in the VC10's were Smith's.. even in the K3/4's (Smith's Military) me thinks :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Dave and Dave

DaveB beat me to it - they are indeed Collins units on the 1-11 lord knows
why unless it was because of the sales to American, Mohawk and the like

Leif

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Leif,

There may be a lot of truth in that mate. BAC were keen on selling to the US and standard fitment of US instruments would certainly have helped. I love the look and operation of the Collins F-D 108 (which is the total package.. HDI/HSI/Flight Director/RMI e t c) though like DM, would have been happy for it to operate as DM programmed it. :wink:
I now wonder if the system fitted in the CS707 also clears when an 'off' freq is selected?? :think:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

DB

The One-Eleven 400 was an Americanised 300

Do you know if the instrumentation differed much, or was it just the weights fuel dump and liftdumpers?

Just out of curiosity

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Garry,

It's difficult to pull any two shots of a 1-11 panel that are the same and that goes for the ex-BA panels too. However, all the shots I've ever seen of the 1-11 flightdeck show the ex-BA aircraft to be similar (for well documented reasons) and the rest are a variation on a theme. That is, all non-exBA flightdecks looked resonably similar and the rest were exBA :smile:
The 1-11 broke new ground in that it was never designed to be 'airline specific' and it is perhaps because of this.. the desire to appeal to the widest possible market, that the use of the best 'common' instrumentation available was used. BA probably had the best idea in the end as the UK fleets, though similar, were different enough that it was not possible for pilots to cross-fly 200/300/400/500 series aircraft. Even that is open to debate though as when BA swallowed up other airlines fleets, they inadvertantly introduced this very problem.

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Dave

Thanks for that. It does seem that there are differences but that is not a deliberate manufacture thing.

BA or really BEA were different in any case having the flight decks fitted out to be as near as poss with the Trident so I suppose the 510 can be ignored. The panel on those look like there is something missing :lol:

Even thought I do see some variation due to model type or age there does seem to be a similar look unlike the Viscount were it is often difficult to find two marks that look anythng like each other.

I suppose though in the reality of FS even the most standard of aircraft will have some differences so there is always going to be someone who use to fly of know them well will find not everthing is as they expect.

I always had the impression with the One-Eleven that maybe the type or make of instrument would vary to perhaps an American version but the layout does seem to have been kept so at least you know were to find it.

Of course with an aeroplane that flew for as long as a One-Eleven there will have been evoloution differences to aircraft that may well have been identical on the line but then spent twenty five years on opposite sides of the globe.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."