Navy at Rosyth

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Navy at Rosyth

Post by TSR2 »

Coming into dock at Rosyth this morning I notice 5 Subs an Aircraft carrier and a fleet Aux ship. The subs look like they've been there for a while :shock: But I have know idea what the other 2 are as they were obscured from view. Anyone any ideas?

Cheers :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

andy

Post by andy »

The Russians have landed..............
.......don't panic Mr Mainwaring................ :lol: :lol: :lol:

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

not seeing these 2 vessels you have seen i can only guess the fleet auxiliary vessel might be a supply ship. having been in the royal fleet auxiliary service i have been based not to far from rosyth. there is a jetty further up the river this being for the loading of well let's say things that go bang in the night. also this is one of only two jetties that can load buckets of instant sunshine. ( you realy don't want to drop these items on the floor ). rosyth is the only scottish dockyard able to do refits, that's when i was serving. sorry that's the best i can do unless you have a photo.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi David.

I know the very Jetty you mean. One of my first jobs when i came to scotland was to deliver a computer rack to "that place" near crombie. I'll get the photos uploaded later today and you can give them a look over. Both of the ships do appear to being refitted, but as we don't have many carriers left, I'm guessing it can only be one of 3?

Cheers,

ImageImageImage

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

i see that you know of the jetty i was talking about. :-$ some time ago when i was on a supply ship at the jetty, we were undergoing the final stages of a mini refit. on the flight deck was a fuel oil hot pressure washer unit, the lines feed there way down into the main engine room. i and another crew member has been assigned the job of washing out the bilges.( the bottom of the engineroom even below the engines,where the oil slops are contained). well unknown to us the unit on the flightdeck had done a fit and set itself on fire. someone across the river was looking at this and called the fire service.
due to the nature of what that jetty is and the ship involved, the first thing anyone knew of the problem was two first responce fire units from rosyth. then another eight units from the surrounding area. well that proved to be very interesting for all. :redface: ohh sorry for the callout it was not my fault . i'am not sure if it made the local papers but we had a mention on the TV. you can't closedown the main highway and river access without someone asking questions.
i await the photo's and i'll try to name the vessel if i can.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Finaly remembered about this. The Aircraft Carrier is Ark Royal, in for her refit.
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server?sho ... ageIndex=6

The RFA ship is Fort Rosalie. http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5054

Not sure what the 5 Subs are though. :wink:

ImageImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Easy enough to ID our carriers by the pennant number on the side R05 - Invincible, R06 - Illustrious and R07 is Ark Royal.

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

I'm a big fan of subs, so I might just go and have a look after my last exam on the 31st.

Thanks for the heads up Ben!
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

ben the sub's are prob decommissioned. at one time sub's were stationed at plymouth. where they are now in scotland out of sight out of mind. who want's old nuke powered subs in there backyard could say more but i don't want the bobbies after me.