Getmapping / Multimap

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Getmapping / Multimap

Post by TobyV »

Has anyone actually bought any printed versions of their photos? I was wondering how much better the detail was? They're quite pricey which is why I havent bought any but they could be quite handy for scenery making :think:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Toby..

Cast your mind back some years and you may remember one of the daily news papers offering this service. All you had to do was collect tokens then send them off when the set was complete. The 'good lady' thought this was a snorting idea so did it and sent off. The end result wasn't too bad and it was free so we couldn't complain! :smile: As for quality.. it looks like a photo mate :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yes, but theres photos taken with a Canon L series lens and theres photos taken with a £4.99 disposable camera from Delboy's tourist stall at the end of Westminster bridge :lol:

To more accurately re-phase my question, would I be able to resolve detail of buildings etc any better with a printed version of their imagery than with whats available on multimap?

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

Well, the printed version can go up on your wall. The on-screen version will not. And a prinout would look pretty crap.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had a word with the boss Toby and she doesn't know where the darned thing is. Her comment was that as far as she could remember, the picture was good quality but a bit high up :-$ :roll: :doh: I know what she means :lol: You don't get a specific house but a postcode area I think. Unless you're dead set on having one, I wouldn't bother mate. :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Okey dokey... its just I seem to remember Steve (andy) or someone having some utility that had those images at a better resolution and wondered if you crossed their palm with silver, you got better quality images!

andy

Post by andy »

Toby, are you thinking of Google Earth?
http://earth.google.com/

It's free to use. Some areas are better than others. :wink:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

No.... not that because I already have that... must just be losing the plot in my old age :worried:

Dont mind me :lol:

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Toby, if you know someone connected with the Canberra PRU squadron - and you're quick - then, maybe for a discount? :lol: