New water textures

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

DispatchDragon wrote:I'll dig it up when I get home - the gent made some major modification as
to how the breakers work in FS9 - he also produces different size waves
at the moment Im trying to get him to reproduce the point break
at "Jaws" on the north shore of Maui - where they have regularly 20-30 foot breaks

Surfs Up LOL

Leif
Totally excellent dude...! :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Kimber wrote:I get in to Flightsim.com all the time, I do a searh without logging on
and it asks me to log in and it never does the no-no thing!!
Same here.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

New water textures

Post by hobby »

I have installed Aquarama.zip, all files in the zip are in the correct places in FS9 but I cannot see any sun reflected on the water surfaces at any time of day.

Is anyone else having a problem with sun (or moon?) reflections?

I have notified the author and await his reply.

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

aquarama.zip

Post by hobby »

The author, Adnan Arif, came straight back and after re-loading his files all is now working with lots of excellent water reflections.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Screenshots?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Rich
VC10
VC10

Re: aquarama.zip

Post by Rich »

hobby, did he give any specific instructions on it, my reflective water has gone altogether now even after going back to my backup copy ???
hobby wrote:The author, Adnan Arif, came straight back and after re-loading his files all is now working with lots of excellent water reflections.
Rich

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

New water textures Aquarama.zip

Post by hobby »

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem as yourself - after an apparently successful installation of the Aquarama.zip with all the contents placed in the correct fs9 files. I am glad that I backed up my previous fs9/scenery/world/texture file. I had made sure that my "water effects" slider was as far to the right as is possible and when I started an evening flight to my dismay all the water reflections had disappeared!

I tried downloading Aquarama.zip afresh from both Flightsim.com and Avsim.com and to my surprise each of the zips, supposedly with the same content, contained a different number of files and were, of course, of different sizes! Most unusual. I have never in 11 years of various Fs programs experienced that sort of problem.

I notified Adnan of this situation and almost by return he sent me a copy of his own env_***.bmp files which do supply the reflections in Aquarama. I reinstalled from one of my downloaded zips and checked that all the files had been placed manually by me in the correct Fs9 files.
I then overwrote the env_****.bmp files with Adnan's own that he had emailed to me and once again checked that they had arrived in the fs9/scenery/world/texture file.

I then went to my display settings and checked that my "water effects" slider was as far to the right as possible. That done Adnan had requested that I set up a flight over water at noon with clear skies and took a screenshot from directly overhead my aircraft (an F16). This showed a clear reflection of the sun directly below the aircraft. A second screenshot taken towards the sun was taken at dusk, with the sun above the horizon, which clearly showed a beautiful sunpath on the surface of the water. I sent these off to Adnan and he was able to confirm, by return email, that all was OK. I still do not know why my initial installation did not work and I will inform him that you have suffered a similar problem. I do hope that not too many people are experiencing a failed initial installation.

I could send you the 11 env_***.bmp files that Adnan sent me if you send me your email address.

Best wishes, hobby

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

FS9 Settings Experiments for using Aquarama water textures

Post by hobby »

I thought that you might be interested to see the results of a couple of days experimentation with my FS9 settings to find the best combination on my setup. My target frame rate is set at 28fps

I have spent some time experimenting with my FS9 settings and I am pleased to tell you that I believe that I have now have a method for using Aquarama textures on my setup.

First I now no longer use FS9 Weather Themes - any of these themes seem to 'kill' the Aquarama textures and effects.

I have decided to always set up FS for test flying with 'World/ Weather/Customized weather' and start with 'clear skies' adjusting wind velocity to my requirements. I have found that by reducing visibility to 20miles I can use Aquarama textures.

If you try to select clouds without first stabilizing with 'clear skies' Aquarama textures and effects do not seem to work. I have found it advisable to start and stabilize with 'clear skies' and add clouds in stages - see below.

I then return to FS9 with my selected aircraft and airfield and wait a few moments for the program to stabilise.

Then I return to 'customised weather' and select clouds either few, scattered or broken and then return to FS9 and make ready to take off. Obviously if one selects 'overcast' there will not be any reflections.

I can then go to my scenery and if I select Land to max and water effects to half then I will see only a flat water surface. By selecting half land and full water effects I will see, on my return to FS9, reflections and wave effects.

I have also found that Aquarama works very well with ASv6 weather engine.

I continue to use Flight Environment but I do not select any water or sun effects and I tried a flight with ASv6 using archived weather from LFSC Meyenheim to EGYC Coltishall (421nm). All went well and the weather effects were really good. Had to overfly a thunderstorm during that flight.

My settings have been modified in the light of experimentation to:

Graphics Card = Nvidia G6800.0

Special effects detail=High
Terrain mesh complexity=Max
Terrain detail Land and Water effects= As required and following your guidance notes.
Scenery complexity=V Dense
Autogen density=V Dense
Addon dynamic scenery= V Dense
Render to texture=ticked
Transform lighting=ticked
Anti Aliasing=not ticked
Mip mapping=6
Hardware rendered lights=5
Global Max texturesize=High

Definition=1024x768x32

I am pleased to have been able to complete this series of experiments so that I shall be able to continue to use Aquarama textures when flying with FS9.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Thanks for your input Hobby. I am always keen to pick up on hot tips for water textures as it can look fantastic if done correctly. How about some screenshots of your work matey? :smile:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

New water textures Aquarama.zip

Post by hobby »

I am very sorry I have have yet to acquire the expertise to post jpgs on this website.
I shall have to devote some time to that exercise later today.
I do recognise the help given to me in the past by members of this forum, and I thank them for their advice on the posting of 600x800 jpgs but real life demands are limiting the time I have with FS9 at present. Nevertheless I shall give it a go later today!