RE: -- I learnt about flying from that!!!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Well theoritically, I should be able to jump in and operate the systems of a Cessna Citation 10, Beech Baron 58 and Cirrus SR-22. Not to mention the 748. The reality XP garmins use the actual garmin trainer so I can use a GNS 530 and 430 :dance: I could also use a Sandel SN3308:smile:

In fact it might be worth buying one of those flying lesson vouchers just to see how much FS experience I can put into practice.
Last edited by jonesey2k on 01 Jun 2006, 08:45, edited 2 times in total.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

FS1 via keyboard - hard enough to take off let alone land. Then through pretty much every incarnation of FS since. Also a number of others (basic in the extreme on the old C64, Amiga and Atari). I've also got an (oldish) version of X-Plane and had FLY (I & II) and Flight Unlimited II & III (one of my all time favourites - shame it bit the dust).

I must admit I never was one for the "correct" way - just jumped in to whatever I fancied and gave it a go. I still do almost all of my flying by hand - good practice for landing but bl**dy tedious over long distances. Looking forward to the day when things get so realistic it takes half a session just to prep the a/c and the other half to reach the runway for takeoff (not).

Regards,
Chris

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

(Sits in a rockin chair, pipe in hand) :tab:

Well......... my fs days started with Flight Simulator 2 by Sublogic on the Atari ST. Back then the land was green and the sea was blue, the clouds were white and the runways grey! Buildings, if you could find them had a mesh cover, and each aircraft had the same panel. I remember my first successful landing. It was in a Cessna 182 into San Fran! I used to fly from Oakland (Default start position) turn left over the bay and head to San Fran. On a number of occassions I crashed until one night at around 22.30 I did it. My skills then progressed to landing on the Golden Gate Bridge. During that time of FS there was no airports or navaids in between areas of scenery, it was a matter of takeoff, head to the furthest VOR and estimate the heading to the next scenery area. The West Coast was fine as you just went North or South, but to get to the East Coast from the west was another thing.

Oh happy days.......................
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I started out trying to fly the FS98 737 aged about 13. I didnt get far, so tail between legs got into the cessna and learned to pootle about in that. Then I got back into the twinjets and trijets (mainly 727, 737, 757, A320, 1-11) and was much more competant. In FS2002 I got the hang of DM's T2 but since then I must admit I dont do much serious flying other than a bit of a buzz round in whatever's current. Mainly stick to commercial stuff but I also fly the Gnat and JP occasionally. I want to try and learn to exploit the full systems on things like the T3, VC10 and 748 but it will be a steep learning curve for me!

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

jonesey2k wrote:In fact it might be worth buying one of those flying lesson vouchers just to see how much FS experience I can put into practice.
I was describing FS to a 747-400 Captain during a boring flight across the Atlantic. "So", he says, starting to leave his seat. "You reckon you could look after this while I go for a walk?" "No problemo, boss," says I. "...... if you could just show me where the pause button is?"

He gave me a funny look and sat down again. So I never did find out :sad:

gmthomas
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gmthomas »

(Lifts lid of coffin and peeps out)
Jetset wrote:(Sits in a rockin chair, pipe in hand) :tab:

Well......... my fs days started with Flight Simulator 2 by Sublogic on the Atari ST.
Ummm, when I started it was Sublogic's original offering on the Apple. Everything was bright green lines on a dark green background, the world was a simple square a few miles each way, there was only one choice of aircraft and no one worried about 3d models, vcs or blurry textures :smile:

Thinks...... I wonder how smooth that version would run on modern hardware? :think:

(closes coffin lid)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

'Ere you are Jetset........This will take you back a few years......or even more!!!!! although you might have visited this site already it still amazes me in how far flight simulation has progressed since the release of MSF 1.0

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsi ... ory_fs.asp

No free wares in those early days of FS!!

I'd have though that surely a man of his REAL flying calibre will already have acheived this ?
Degsy......I doubt if he would ever tell!! But have heard about a rear crew member on a Vulcan suddenly noticing that the sun went from one porthole to the next and exclaimed that "Something odd is happening here"!!..........None of the other rear crew members had felt the Vulcan barrel roll as the pilot maintained one 'G' through-out the manouvre...then did it again the other way :-$
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There are videos on this site

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htm

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

I got into FS when I bought FS2000 after seeing it at a friend's house (he also had some other great sims such as DID's F-22 ADF) and taught myself to fly the C182 at Meigs Field, mainly through trial and error. I used to do all of my flying around Chicago then and I remember my first successful landing (at Meigs), my first complete flight from Meigs to O'Hare and my first night landing on the same route.
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus

CT100
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by CT100 »

Thanks All,

This makes for interesting reading, I've enjoyed going through the posts.

I suppose I could brush up on the use of FMC's etc. and see what I remember and let the autopilot do the work but I was thinking of starting at the beggining and hand flying the aircraft.

I haven't done much but did a circuit or two the other day in a C172 Skyhawk, not the default one, but what a pain it can be especially the trim!!

Trim Up! Trim Down! Trim Up! Trim Down! et. etc. etc. straight and level ....... maybe? The trim seems a bit over sensitive to me.

I've invested in a yoke which makes all the difference I think and some rudder pedals more recently which makes things harder than easier I think. :smile:

Definately need the practice.

I wonder if I expect too much sometimes because I often read about the limitations of FS (not sure what they all are) and how it can be harder to fly in FS than the real thing because of the lack of peripheral views etc.

I assume you must be able to get fairly accurate hand flying though?

Cheers,

Chris.