Speed Limit

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Speed Limit

Post by blanston12 »

I just started my first VC10 flight, a trans atlantic flight from Heathrow to New York JFK. I noticed our Simrate limit for this flight is only 4x. Since when on long flights at cruise altitude there is really not much to do, lets set the simrate for long flights at 16x.

If we are worried about the revenue bonis I don't think its a big deal. During the same time we can do one leg at 4x we can do both it and the return trip at 16x (and maybe another). At 4x we get a 5% profit bonis but at 16x we can do more flights.

(1 * 105%) < (2 * 100%).

I would recommend that all flights longer than 500 miles should be 16x, or to make it easy anything where the default fare is 150v$ or greater.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Joe,

Personally I think x16 is too much. As a general rule I tend to fly for between 1Hr and 1Hr 30, although this varies. I don't fly trans atlantic often, but when I took the 10 out 2 weeks ago from JFK to Aldergrove, I had it on x4 and it took about 1hr 20.

Your absolutely right about not having much to do in the cruise, so that when AP goes on.

Maybe x8 would be a better compromise, else we'll be doing JFK - London in 10 minutes! :shock:

Just my tuppence worth. :smile:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Joe,

Looking at sector fuel that you used, if you didn't need to refuel other than adding sector fuel in the aircraft, the transatlantic routes for the VC10's are a 'loss-leader'. If I increased the sim it may generate more transatlantic flights. If someone were to go back and forth all day at 16x sim rate with a loss on each flight we could be bankrupted. I am quite happy for pilots to operate transatlantic to enable the exploration of the far reaches of our network and then bring the aircraft back to the UK for a type change. I think a 4x sim rate is reasonable.

If you look at the flight numbers, a lot of the flights particularly eastbound from UK are 4 or 5 multi-sectors (each multi-sector has same flight number for whole route) with a different route on the return. On such flights, I am hoping that the profit/loss flights will balance themselves out.

Regards

John

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

i have read the above statement's and would like to say. my views only, i was on the understanding that this va was about trying to operate aircraft in the early days of british aviation. as such you would operate the aircraft in a manner that would be near the specs of the aircraft we are now operating.
i can agree that flying transatlantic can be long and not much to do, but we pick the routes /aircraft to fly so we know what we are going to be doing for the next few hours. so in the system we have the option to speed up the process by 4x. if by the comments speed up to 16x so that you could get two or three flights in, well it shouts more of making profit than actual flight enjoyment. let us try and keep to the nature of what this va is truly about.
this statment was made not to upset or stamp on anyone, as such please don't take offence.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

With all due respect guys, its not really right for one group to decide for others how they should get the most out of there fight sim experience. I brought up the profit issue only to preempt those who would argue against it saying we would be loosing the bonus.

If you don't like flying faster than 4x then you don't have to. But there is no reason why that has to be imposed on everyone else.

And there is no reason why the transatlantic flights have to be loss-leaders. In the case my (our) first transatlantic flight, I purchased an extra 18804kg of fuel that was left in the tanks at the end of the flight. If I had not done so the flight would have made a gross profit of 29347 instead of a loss of 11533. Of course I would need an appropriate reserve but the reserve of the previous flight would normally be still in the tanks.

Lets not let our own preconseptions get in the way of others.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Joe,

Can we just give it a go and see what the consensus is. This is early days, so lets just see how everyone else feels. Not being prosciptive, just trying to get a handle on what the general view is. I think at the moment your the only guy who has done a trans atlantic, lets see what some others think who have done it. Can't say fairer than that. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Off the top of my head.. I never go anywhere faster than x1 and haven't done for years. As long as the 10's make a profit, I don't mind what speed they're flown at (sim speed that is) though it's also worth adding that I don't yet fully understand how any of this works!! :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

Just my two pence worth, I always prefer to fly at x1 sim speed no matter how long the flight. I think this should really be left up to the individual to make their own choice.

Regards

Sean

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I think that last point is valid Sean. If you like it and it's there to be done.. then do it. :wink:

For my part, I have absolutely no interest in the 'personal' va wealth that can be made but I do like to ensure that what I do is worthwhile and makes a bob for the company. Flying at anything more than x1 defeats the object for me but that is purely my decision. The beauty of the way Flynet operates is that we can all do our own thing and that's what attracts me to it :wink: As long as what we're doing is all above board (eg.. no rigging the fuel scalar!!).. then I'm happy.

This said.. as with any organisation, there must be rules.. even if the only ones we have are those laid down by Flynet so in the absence of any others, Flynet's will do :smile:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

I'm with you on this one DaveB,
x1 all the way for me, I am enjoying all aspects of the a/c, routes and being part of a team so to speak.
Most of the routes we have at the moment, have fond memories for me, and I'm very happy with the VA just the way it is, as close to real as it gets, might not be much to do in the cruise, but hell, that's the way it was, and is!.

Robbie