Shoreham as a Film Star

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Shoreham as a Film Star

Post by mulletman »

Hey everyone.

Went to see The Da Vinci Code earlier in the week.

For thos of you that have read to book, or seen this film, you will know that there is a lot of traveling in between locations in aircraft. Without giving anything of this story away (i highly, highly reccomend the book) at one point Langdon (main character) and company have to escape France. They fly from le Bourget airfield, Paris to Biggin Hill. In a 'Hawker 731' (im assuming this is a mistake by Dan brown - actually a 125-731, and this is what is used in the film).

EDIT: I beleve this is the aircrat that was used in the film http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0720854/L/

The point i want to ask, is was Shoreham's Terminal, airside, used as the terminal building for Le Bourget? It looked just like it, and if im not worng all that was changed was a whopping great 'Le Bourget' Sign under the clock.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Or was i imagining things.

Oh, and read the book. Its fantastic. Im still not quite decided on the film though (i read the book first).

Peace and Love

Fred 'mulletman' Clark.
Image Image
Yes...and... I Like my Boeings.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

The popular name for 125s in the US has long been "Hawkers". Raytheon currently markets the "Hawker 800XP" and the Hawker Horizon. So I suppose a 'legacy' model such as the 125-700 could be a "Hawker 700". However, it sounds like a confusion with the engine designation, that being TFE-731 I think.

I havent seen the film, but does the terminal look like this?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0920875/L/

Inside, its very Art-deco 1930s. Its been used for filming before on several occasions. Poirot (the David Suchet ones in particular) springs to mind as one example.

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

TobyVickers wrote:I havent seen the film, but does the terminal look like this?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0920875/L/
Yep, authough its a case of blink and you miss it. I knew what the building looked like and thought they looked very simalar.

I have been looking for pictures of Le Bourgets terminal to see if they are simalar, with no luck.
Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Oh, and read the book. Its fantastic. Im still not quite decided on the film though (i read the book first).
Fred, often when having read a book then later having gone to see the film I have been disapointed.

One of the main reasons I believe...... is that quite often the film is based on a book and not always as written!! Maybe something to do with copy-rights but not sure. :think:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

Nigel H-J wrote:One of the main reasons I believe...... is that quite often the film is based on a book and not always as written!! Maybe something to do with copy-rights but not sure. :think:
Well with the Da Vinci code, many things were changed. However the plot, and general theme remained exactly the same. Screen Writers do this to keep interest in for those who have actually read the book.

Thinmk about it, if you went to see a film of a book, and then you simply saw the book played on screen word for word, nothing would surprise you. you would just compare it with your own imagination. If however you went to see a film, and you got the idea, but the happenings were portrayed differently then you would have a lot more interest kept.

In the Da Vinci code there are some HUGE twists. and if they had been portrayed exactly as i imagined, i would have probably been dissapointed.
Image Image

migeater0
Lightning
Lightning

Post by migeater0 »

My ex lives there, I normally avoid the place. (Having said that, flew in there the other day for breakfast...)
The Sock Lives! Long Live The Sock!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Toby

Isn't the 731 a compliant number with a noise regulation.

731 is often quoted on the end of a type like HS.125-F400B/731

And others but I'm tied up and can't look for examples right now

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Garry Russell wrote: I'm tied up and can't look for examples right now

Garry
Having a Barbeque !? :wink: :lol: :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Sadly not...............but sounds a great Idea.

:smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Garry Russell wrote:Toby

Isn't the 731 a compliant number with a noise regulation.

731 is often quoted on the end of a type like HS.125-F400B/731

And others but I'm tied up and can't look for examples right now

Garry
It just means its been re-engined with Garrett TFE731s, thats why its a 125-F400B :wink: