Canadair Argonaut?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Leif - thanks for that - I shall try and find the site - the news film from recollection is not clear enough to show the regs

Chris

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The C4 at Stockport .

The fuel transfer cocks if not opened full would cause the fuel starvation of two engines.

This happened to G-ALHG but that was not actually the cause of the crash as it was capable of flying on two.

Because the crew were so busy trying to hold it in the air when the second failed no one could, or at least did feather number three.

When they did test at that load and airspeed it was all they could do to hold it there and other personnel had to operate vital systems. Had they been able to feather number three it would probably have recovered. As it was had they let go for a second or two to do that it would have fallen out the sky.

So at low level unable to maintain height low airspeed two engines stopped and a prop windmilling at tremendous drag it's fate was sealed

It was put down deliberately in a small open space. A few survived

The Royal C4 was the same aircraft fitted out for the tour including four new engines and a steel floor. It was G-ALHK

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Hi everyone!

Got some pics now for you. Need to get them to Vixus for upload so might take some time due to exams.
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Garry Russell wrote: It was put down deliberately in a small open space. A few survived
My uncle was in Stockport that day and saw it happen. It was a very good piece of flying to put the aircraft into what was only a town square in the middle of the Stockport city centre. Although the aircraft was demolished in the crash, there were 12 survivors, including the Captain, who was pulled from the wreckage by a policeman.

Kevin

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Kevin wrote:
Garry Russell wrote: It was put down deliberately in a small open space. A few survived
My uncle was in Stockport that day and saw it happen. It was a very good piece of flying to put the aircraft into what was only a town square in the middle of the Stockport city centre. Although the aircraft was demolished in the crash, there were 12 survivors, including the Captain, who was pulled from the wreckage by a policeman.

Kevin
My dear mother was one of the first on the scene of the carnage. To this day she sheds a tear talking to me about it. It came down near the Police station on Lee Street, Stockport.

I don't like to talk to her about it really just out of sheer respect for her and the unfortunate souls who perished. Its very tragic. A beautiful memorial has been erected nearby for those who died. Its a wonderful tribute. :sad:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

It does occasionally stall at 200kts, not been able to figure that out yet.

Sean
Hi Sean, you should never reach 200 kts flying the Argonaut under normal conditions. Climb is at 145-150 kts indicated, cruise is at 165-175 kts indicated, during descent you may get to 180-190 kts, and there's no good reason to fly any faster than that.

Press F10 while flying the Argonaut and select the reference tab; detailed power & rpm settings are available for each stage of your flight.

Hope this helps,

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Hi Jens!

Thank you very much for giving us this wonderful aircraft!
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

[quote="britishtourer"]Well, I've just flown her and she's pretty nice. You must trim her prior to take off or you'll find yourself still on the ground rapidly running out of runway!!![/quote]

Duxford is a piece of cake for an Argonaut if you don't try it with too much fuel/payload aboard . . . I've even lifted a Britannia there without running out of tarmac. Try around 30% fuel in the Argonaut for about two hour's flight.

J