First Comet flight inaugurated

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Thanks very much for that david, I am completely clueless when it comes to the CBFS jets, so I will try your procedures and see how I do :smile:

Cheers

Rich

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nice to see the Comet getting some use. I'm tempted, only tempted mind you, to add the Comet to my type ratings but like most of the jets.. the flight times are longer than I can afford to spare.

Glad to see you didn't find the trim gauge! :lol: :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

I think you'd get on well with the Comet Dave, its far more propliner technology than it is jet, after all. Ive always thought of it that way anyway! :roll: :lol: :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm au fait with the Comet being the DaveB that is mentioned with the panel gumph but it's been so long since I've flown it and I'm not quite sure I could handle going faster than 258kts these days (Vanguard) :lol: :lol:
It's certainly a very attractive aircraft though and comes with a great selection of paints not to mention the 'oddities' Garry Russell has done for her :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

Dave, i promise you that if you go above 258kts you brains will not explode or be sucked out your ears. :think: OHHH! that's what that grey slude is on the floor, i had better clean it up.
if that worries you, do as in the old days of steam. put a man infront of you with a red flag, he'll have to run fast down the runway. :lol: i did have have the VC10 on my list but had it removed, i realy wanted the comet as she has no bells and whistle and handels something like the 1-11's. but a bit faster.
for me the comet was as british as you could get and showed the world we knew how to produce a wonderful looking machine. that was once they found out the design faults and fixed them.

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

Not wanting to put anybody off flying the Comet but I have noticed that with two notches of flap on a landing approach she will stall and drop like a stone at 130kt IAS. 40kt above the advertised stall with flaps. Scarey stuff.

Sean

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Avant-Garde-Aclue wrote:Not wanting to put anybody off flying the Comet but I have noticed that with two notches of flap on a landing approach she will stall and drop like a stone at 130kt IAS. 40kt above the advertised stall with flaps. Scarey stuff.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Glad to see you are being put through the mill by your training captain. It just goes to show how important it is to train on type before flying 'the line'.

Thanks and regards

John

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

hi sean, just some more tips for you on the landings. by your photo's look rather good. he is what i do and i have still got to get my landings to 100ftpm. try to keep 6500rpm or 6800rpm use two sets of flaps no more. then as you come within 1 mile of runway add the third, watch your speed. keep above 150kts. then as you come to the piano keys add the fourth . slowly bring the speed down. then you will touch down without dropping out of the sky.
at this time i have had variable results. from an indicated -0ft to other landings of -170 to my worst -275. so it will take some time to perfect. but it is worth the effort. if you need advice on anything else just shout. might be a while responding as i go back on shift tomorrow night.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guys,

It's been some time since I ventured into the front end of DM's old lady but as far as landing goes.. I seem to remember using a technique used by Comet pilots in that the last position of flap wasn't used until you were basically on the threshold then throttle back and glide her gently to the ground. It does take some practise but is an alternative to the more traditional method of landing :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

I'll keep plugging at it, done 27 landings in the Comet about three of which were survivable for both plane and souls on board, one being the Entebbe landing LOL. Guess I'll postpone tomorrow's Jo'burg run until I've got a new supply of brown shorts. In the mean time I'll keep my hand in on the Vanguard and practice on the Comet in my spare time. I want to earn that rating without causing loss of aircraft and virtual ticket buyers :lol:

Regards

Sean