SRN-6

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

This is a great little model... the figures in the cabin look a little oriental for a cross-solent service, but their heads turn and they blink too! SRN-6 itself looks pretty pot on and teh skirt deflates when you shut down the engine. All the doors open and they even "click" shut. Makes me want to have a nother go at building an r/c one now :redface: I sold my last (unfinished) attempt on ebay about a year ago.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

PeteP wrote:Hi Garry,
It's always seemed unbelievable to me that it did overturn. I've never seen the accident report - although one must exist - but if I recall it was caused by a lethal combination of the wind, sea state and the craft's manoeuvres. Having seen film of one of 012's sister-craft from Hovertravel shooting the most incredible rapids on a trip up the Amazon without apparent danger, whatever the combination of factors on the day of the accident were, they must have been most unusual to tip something with that stability and low c of g over.
Best
Pete
I remember that incident, although still in school at the time,several pals' Dad's worked in BHC at the time.

It caught a wave and lost lift, and then hit a following wave, the forward left (may have been right) bow dug in and the resultant forces caused it to flip. IIRC it was a horrible winter's night,force 8 winds in the Solent.

Anyhow,us kids were more interested in rather impressive 1/6th scale R/c model the BHC boffins wheeled out later the same week to try and reproduce the flip.

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

righthandseat
Meteor
Meteor

Post by righthandseat »

I think Dinky brought out an "army camouflage" SRN-6 model? Was this a 'make believe' or did the MOD actually purchase the SRN-6?

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Didnt the RN have a hovercraft trials unit, possibly using SRN.6s?

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

This is great fun and it's a nice looking model to boot.

On the subject of R/C models,have a looksee at what this guy gets upto:

http://www.model-hovercraft.com/

There's even free plans to build your own scale SRN-5 and Griffon TDX

Mark :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I was jsut about to post that :lol: I sold my own part-finished r/c model on ebay last year and downloading this one and seeing Mark Porter's new r/c model has made me think about maybe having another try :doh:

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Hi Toby

Didnt the RN have a hovercraft trials unit, possibly using SRN.6s?

The RN did indeed use the SRN-6's along with the BH7 and the VT2, the Royal Naval Hovercraft Trials Unit was at Lee on Solent (HMD Daedalus), I spent my last 2 years in the RN on this unit and mostly worked on the SRN-6.

righthandseat
Meteor
Meteor

Post by righthandseat »

Thanks for the tip Seaking: Mark Porter looks to have a full history of the SRN6 here:-
http://www.btinternet.com/~mark.e.porte ... /srn6.html Now to find a good pic for a repaint.