Any military vehicle fans here??

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Only the chasis will rust on landrovers and the bodywork is ally. Not sure about the Rangerover though. You can beat the sound of that 3.5 V8 :)

Looking at the dashboard it looks like a very early Rangerover and it would have been better then the leaf spring 88's and 109 landrovers that were in use at the time!

The search for the center steer goes on....
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

RJP
Comet
Comet

Post by RJP »

RAF_Quantum wrote:Interesting to see that they've managed to overcome the problems that a lot of vehicle manufacturers seem to be blighted with. Even in a hot desert climate the RR is still successfully rusting :-#

:lol: :lol:
It does look a bit worse in the pics than it did in real life. There certainly was rust but not the deep stuff you'd get in a damp atmosphere.

Bizarrely, the lower tailgate, usually one of the first bits to dissolve, seems fairly intact.
jonesey2k wrote:Only the chasis will rust on landrovers and the bodywork is ally.
You havn't got a Land Rover have you! :lol: The bodywork on most may be ally but to help the rot along they attach it to steel inner bodies :doh: They're then remarkably good at rotting away :crying: The engine / interior bulkheads are one of the most common bits to rust on series vehicles / Defenders, that's all steel.
jonesey2k wrote:Not sure about the Rangerover though. You can beat the sound of that 3.5 V8 :)
IIRC some of the RR body panels are steel. There are usually replacements available in ally or GRP though. You can beat the sound of a 3.5 (or 3.9) v8...... with a 4.6 :dance: When I finally bought something with a v8 it was a mkIII RR, to hear the engine in that you've gotta turn the radio & fan off and wind the window down, even then its quiet :doh:
jonesey2k wrote:Looking at the dashboard it looks like a very early Rangerover and it would have been better then the leaf spring 88's and 109 landrovers that were in use at the time!
It's 1983 which puts it about 1/3rd of the way through RR mk I production. Oddly, for a country with historical ties to the UK, they seem to have preferred American (& even Japanese) vehicles.

Rgds
Richard
Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

TobyV wrote:
jonesey2k wrote:Heh, Id love to get my hands on an ex-sas pinkie or dinky :smile:
Complete with GPMG, Browning .50 and Mk19 GMG armaments :lol:
That would be handy for driving around Liverpool would it? :lol: Or maybe for visits to Manchester? :lol: :lol:
Hoi! Don't be painting a bad picture of Manchester Vickers. Its home to Zulu Kilo remember!? :tuttut: :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image