Flybe buys BA Connect!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

The RJ100s will stay on with BA on operations from EDI and LCY :wink: Theres only a handful of actual 146s with BA (G-MANS, G-GNTZ and G-MABR I think, possibly a 300 series or two :think: ).

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

My understanding (posibly wrong) is that the 146's and A319's are opperated by GB airways which runs the BA Connect thing. What I don't know is if GB Airways are a subsidury of BA or they run a franchise of BA. Not sure but are the ERJ145 not opperated by Brymon for BA connect?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

AndyG wrote: Now if Jet2 and/or Globespan can manage a bit of southern expansion things could start to get really interesting! :axe:

AndyG
I don't think that interest is possible in a commercial aviation world full of low-cost airlines and glass cockpits.
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

I have to speak as I find and say that I use Flybe occasionally on their Exeter to Newcastle route and have never had a problem with them to date. Their prices are good as is their punctuality.Unfortunately I can't say the same for another budget airline I''ve used from Bristol to the same destination.
Steve M

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Ben, the 146s I listed are reg'd to BA Connect Ltd on the IoM, but I think the A32X family a/c, with teh exception of G-BUS# are GB airways operated.

I think BA have long tried to make their regional ops and their LGW ops profitable and have tried a variety of combinations of franchisees, subsiadiaries, "BA Express", BRAL, BACX and most recently BA Connect and a source of mine said if it didnt work out this time it would be gone. And now it is!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I know what you mean Toby, but its still fairly ambiguous as to what flybe get... I have a feeling its only the routes as the bulk of the a/c don't belong to BA. I guess it will all come out in the wash.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Ben, the poster here has some more info on it. I know him and know its accurate. Cant say more than that :wink:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

TobyV wrote:Ben, the poster here has some more info on it. I know him and know its accurate. Cant say more than that :wink:
Regarding that thread, the F100 is not certified for LCY ops but the F70 is. The Emb170 has not been back into LCY since it's first visit so I don't know how far they intend to take that.

The A318 came in again last weekend. A different reg this time but just as impressive.....

A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

OK the word is, BA to form a new subsidiary,based at EDI to operate some of the RJ100 fleet into/out of London City.

It can't be London based because of agreements with pilots union
that effectively prevent BA from having other London permanent bases except LHR and LGW.

Flybe will get the EMB145,Dash 8,146 and remaining RJ's not used by the new startup at EDI, but have stated that they wish to 'dispose' of these as quickly as possible.

Like Ben says, the concensus of opinion is its' all about the routes,and indeed some staff have already been told of their future employment status come next March when everything should be in place.

gissa job?

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I would have thought they would keep the BA aircraft that fit in with their existing types, i.e. the 146 and the Dash 8. I have it from a very reliable source that for BA's regional ops the 146/RJ is generally better suited than the Embraer. Question is, given that FlyBe is heading towards a Bombardier/Embraer fleet and away from the 146s, would that cause them to be more likely to retain the Embraers.

I take onboard what MM is saying but at the same time, you have to have something operate those routes with! The other night on local TV, Flybe were quoted as saying they wished to retain all of BA Connect's staff, that could just be the usual BS to prevent things turning ugly too soon though :lol: