Daily Mail Sept '76

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Re: Daily Mail Sept '76

Post by Trev Clark »

I applauded the governments decision to make all 'National Collections' free, but the idea falls down if government funding is not sufficiant to run them properly then it is a waste of time :-( .

I think they should be free to EU citizens and all the other tourists and visitors should pay. This is the system they use here in Spain, just show your ID card (or passport) and you go in free.....ID card, oh dear :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATB Trev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I always feel a tinge of sadness when seeing classic aircraft such as the picture Tonks posted all broken up and left in a discarded heap!! Not the way for a classic to go!! :-(

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Trident Man
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Trident Man »

And a scene to be repeated over the next 10 years or so. How ironic it will be if one goes to Cosford (and whilst we think about it, where else? Manchester? Filton? East Fortune? That would save at least 4, but I ain't gonna get my hopes up...)
We do really want one CHEERS

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Perhaps, if a K4 was preserved - NOT at Cosford, :lol: then it could one day be painted BACK into the colours it once wore when with BA. Or...attach a pair of K4 wings and tail on to the fuselage of ' Victor Mike' at Brooklands. And with a C1K preserved at Cosford, perhaps re-painted back to white/grey (they'd keep it, as it is RAF!) then, we'd have the best of both worlds. (Both worlds being: military /civil.... Is that a pun?) :worried:
Last edited by Chris558 on 13 Nov 2007, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chris558 wrote:Perhaps, if a K4 was preserved, then it could one day be painted BACK into the colours it once wore when with BA.
It'd be nice seeing one back in BOAC colours in the last few months of their service life - much in the way the Jag fleet painted on of them in GW1 colours.

Sadly I fear it'll never happen...
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Tonks wrote:Very sad... :-(

Same idea a few years later...

Tonks :flying:
:@ :'( :drinkers:
Jim

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I take it that's in jest

If they fitted Super (K4) wings to VM that would make it almost a C1.

The Standard had a different wing to a Super and the BOAC Standard had a different wing to the rest of the Standards.

The C1 had the wings tail and engines of the Super.

So now G-ARVF is the only example of a proper Standard :worried:

Unless Tonks can go see if there are enough K2 parts around to knock RVM up again :think:

:lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

HC..

It was £12 last time I went on a no display day too which, granted, has been a few years now. I went online to see just how expensive it is now and £14.95 is the sad truth :roll:

Difficult to decide which version would be a 'good' museum piece.. especially if it was to be painted up in BOAC. The C1K's are 'arguably' the best bet as they're still 'fitted out' inside. The K3's have dirty great internal tanks which'd cost a fortune to remove and the 4's are stripped of all fittings for the most part (from what I remember). I don't think anyone who's serious about getting one would mind a 3 or 4 left as they are now in RAF low vis (minus a few bits out of the front end). I think the 1K's would look rather fetching in their original white/grey with dark blue cheatline ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveB wrote:
Difficult to decide which version would be a 'good' museum piece.. especially if it was to be painted up in BOAC.
Sadly I fear any civil marked one would end up scrapped. As I say though, it would cost money, so would never happen.
The C1K's are 'arguably' the best bet as they're still 'fitted out' inside. The K3's have dirty great internal tanks which'd cost a fortune to remove and the 4's are stripped of all fittings for the most part (from what I remember). I don't think anyone who's serious about getting one would mind a 3 or 4 left as they are now in RAF low vis (minus a few bits out of the front end). I think the 1K's would look rather fetching in their original white/grey with dark blue cheatline ;-)
Didn't the K3 tanks go in through the (now sealed) cargo door? I think a K3 would be nice to see preserved if it was to be a "open" exhibit - the tanks making it a little more interesting. As for the rest probably the C1Ks are a little more interesting.

I suppose it comes down to what's scrapped last!

Of course the sooner permanent homes are sorted the better, rather than a mad rush when the type's finally retired (about 2025 with the latest FSTA delay 'innit?) :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rgr dodger on the K3's tanks and agree it would be interesting to exibit. No idea how 'permanent' the sealing was/is on the cargo door though. I reckon it's probably a permanent job. Anyway.. as you mentioned, they're probably gonna be around for quite a while yet and the longer the better ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!