Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Scuse me Ben

Still stand by what I said

We use an Airport WiFi hub at the house which is mac driven - and its impossible to piggyback on it - and my PC (the only non Mactinosh piece of computer gear in the house runs off it - and is also shielded - Las Vegas has the highest rate of Wireless Piracy in the US if not the world - this is why I even replied

My apologies for misunderstanding

leif

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Understand Leif,

MAC (as in MAC address) Stands for Media Access Control. Its interesting that you find the Apple Mac WiFi hub more secure. Networking is device independent. Weither your using Linux, UNIX, Windows, Mac OS even your Playstation or Xbox, all use the same technology when connecting to a TCPIP (Thats the network protocal the internet uses)

This is because all these devices have to be able to speak to each other, thats why networks are common. So (In theory) it shouldn't matter if your WiFi hub is Apple, Netgear, Cisco, Belkin or anyone else. Now don't get me wrong, different WiFi routers or hubs will have other nice features such as firewalls etc (Some of which are better than others), but as Apple don't actually make any networking equipment at all, your good security in your Apple WiFi hub can almost certainly be found in some chinese company's £50 equivilant.

Just a wee bit of background. :smile:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

JimCooper
Lightning
Lightning

Post by JimCooper »

Ben Watson wrote:MAC address is the network card MAC Address... nowt to do with Apple Mac's :wink:
When I went to Grammar School in my shorts, long socks and peaked cap (back in 1969) my Mac had my name and address written on the label in case I left it in the cloakroom..I thought that was my Mac address :think:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

JimCooper wrote:
Ben Watson wrote:MAC address is the network card MAC Address... nowt to do with Apple Mac's :wink:
When I went to Grammar School in my shorts, long socks and peaked cap (back in 1969) my Mac had my name and address written on the label in case I left it in the cloakroom..I thought that was my Mac address :think:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ImageImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thanks for clarifying Ben

And I was fairly sure about the WiFi thing - Stace is the Apple wizard(ess)
Its freaky because e we can look at other peoples WiFi connections where we live - but I know for fact (I looked at my neighbors computer) that our Airport is invisible to other local users - Im not sure if its a firewall feature or what - but we just arnt "there" - which is rather nice - it looks like its far to easy to do exactly what Ian was talking about here

Leif

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

You might well be right there leif. I think Apple may hide the SSID by default which would mean your neighbours couldn't see it. :wink:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

DispatchDragon wrote:- Stace is the Apple wizard(ess)
Very discreet, Leif! I take it she has access to this forum otherwise you might have used the generally accepted feminine noun for Wizard?

Ian :lol:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Uh Huh Ian

boy what I was I thinking? a Pagan, Legal Secratary and I had to marry her

:doh:

Leif