Have you been piggybacked?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Have you been piggybacked?

Post by speedbird591 »

I've got a home wireless network. My main desktop is wired in but I keep the network unencrypted and unhidden so cyberbrat and his friends can log on with their laptops, Wiis, PS2s, PSPs, DSs and whatever else turns up. We live on an estate of detached houses with probably only four or five within wireless range. So I wasn't too concerned about anybody piggybacking my BB connection. (It means logging on to somebody else's network with a wifi device).

However, I've always kept a weather eye on the wireless activity light on the router and this weekend it was flashing constantly, even though cyberbrat was out and his laptop was off! BT's latest desktop help program has got a very useful analytical tool that shows visually all the devices on your network and it showed the rogue computer and its printer. It also shows the MAC address which is useful because I was able to block its address in the router. That stuffed the little rascal!

Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody wasn't aware of what to look for. I have now hidden the network ID but if you don't need the open access like I do, or live in a more densely populated area, you should also encrypt the network. Piggybacking could use up a lot of your bandwidth and lead to your ISP restricting your BB use. It could also slow down your BB speed.

Ian :roll:

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Good advice Ian. Can you tell me more about the device or program that BT provide to show the people using your connection? I'd like to know whether anyone on our estate is 'piggybacking' our BB!

I'm currently using BT Broadband.
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi Eddie. It's BT Broadband Desktop Help. You can download it from the BT Yahoo Broadband website.

Ian

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Does it install loads of other things?

I try to avoid downloading any of the BT extras to avoid "customisation" of my system.

Ian

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

My 3Com router/hub/BB modem has software that lets you see what PCs are logged onto the network too. In my case it's only my main desktop and wireless linked laptop plus the external backup drive but I have the full encryption and security setup running on mine.
Regards
Kit

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

All routers that I'm aware of can show you that sort of information. You usually just have to open 192.168.0.1 in a web browser and log in.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've taken the following precautions:

1. 128-bit WEP enabled;
2. SSID visibility disabled;
3. Allowed MAC addresses assigned to the router;
4. Static IP addresses set (no DHCP, addresses assigned to devices).

I'm hoping that will make it pretty difficult for unwanted users to get into!

James

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

TBH all most folk really need is the mac address filter. Its is posible for for someone to spoof a mac address to get a connection, but you need to know what your doing. WEP is crackable too.

For most people though a MAC filter is simple, easy to update (if you have friends or cyberbrats who have friends with laptops etc) :wink: and does the job. Hiding the SSID is practically useless.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

ianhind wrote:Does it install loads of other things?
I guess you're talking about the Yahoo browser, Ian :roll: No, it's a straightforward BB analysis prog. It loads up with windows and pops up if a connection problem occurs. Or you can open it and run a few checks anyway. It gives you access to a live chatroom with the BT Helpdesk too. I know what you're thinking - what's the use of that if you haven't got a connection? :lol: But you can also download dial-up software to use if your BB goes down. I think I'd rather die than use dial-up again.......

Thanks for your comments, Ben. The idea of the MAC filter certainly sounds basic and effective, nice to know that you confirm it.

Ian :smile:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Ian

AS we are 75% MAC in this house hold I can confirm what ben says

Even my PC is protected because we run a MAC airport for WIFi

Leif

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

MAC address is the network card MAC Address... nowt to do with Apple Mac's :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage