Captain Sim's 737

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Captain Sim's 737

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ian :hello:

I'm not sure what's happening with the shot size? At one point on the old server after the size had been reset, larger screenies would show with a scroll bar which worked a treat. It didn't bugger up the page for those of us using lower screen resolutions and we (the royal we) could see all of the picture using the scroll bar. Since the server change, it seems to have gone back to it's old, odd ways by cropping shots :dunno: Ben will know the answer.. I hope :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Ian

That new size is allowed and I did see them OK eventually....no idea what was happening there

It's only on the PC though that I can see the whole pic, there are cropped on the others but as Dave said there was a scroll bar but not now. :dunno:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

No new options in the control panel either that might have disabled resizing or displaying of images properly.

Maybe it's a server side setting?

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I couldn't see Ian's screen shots at first (and this is the 800 size). The first one came in as low resolution and slowly improved in quality. The others stalled. After refreshing 3 times, all the images are present.

But these seem to be "progressive JPG" files - is that the problem? Usually JPGs appear on screen at the final resolution. There may be some delay in downloading the entire image but you don't see them in low res first.

And just downloaded one of the images - Irfanview says it is "JPEG, progressive" so maybe the server is having difficulty with the format.

Ian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks Ian

That is pretty much how I had it *-)

In my case the pics stopped with the bottom still in very low res and the top OK but only two pics would show.
Garry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi chaps,

The images aren't hosted on this server, so it doesn't process them, the browser does that when it pulls them from wherever they are hosted.
the width settings are my cock up. They were set to 1024, but when we sync'd the forum with the old server they seem to have reverted to 800. I'll get it sorted. :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers for that Ben :thumbsup:
Garry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Ben :thumbsup:

I didn't think the 'partial' hi-res/lo-res thing was anything to do with us as we're not hosting the image. I saw them all first time though cropped :)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I'm glad Ian H piped up as I thought it was just another W7 thing this end. :lol:
Garry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

:lol: :lol: Crikey! Wot a palaver!

Obviously I checked how the pics displayed before and after submitting the post and they displayed correctly on my laptop both in 1024 and 800. I even tried it in Chrome, IE9, Firefox and Safari and couldn't reproduce the blurring effect :S

Anyway - last try! I've now converted them to 'ordinary' jpegs - after doing a bit of googling I think that the progressive jpegs were designed for slower and dial-up connections to give an approximate image while you were waiting for more scans to build the image up to the final. Nowadays most connections are fast enough to handle base jpegs. As I've got a reasonably fast Infinity connection I would have got a speedy download whatever format it was in. I've now changed my standard 'save' setting in Irfanview so that it won't save jpegs as progressive.

It's all a big learning curve around here, isn't it?

Ian :lol: