Embarassed to be British

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Embarassed to be British

Post by airboatr »

I've probably out right kilt people with my grammar....

I'm at least trying to not do that anymore.

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Arf!

Nah, it's not so much the simple things like spelling and such that annoyed me, it's saying things like "are" instead of "our" and these phases of using incorrect words that somehow then seem to get accepted by the younger generation and those older ones who don't know better. Such as "pre-book" or "pre-plan".

Then there are the "ality" crowd. I think this one came from the US - possibly from foreigners speaking English and then getting picked up by the same types as mentioned and integrated into daily use. You know, like "functionality" - oh, how I detest that word! :lol: What's wrong with "function", "functions" or "functioning"? Then there's the worst one of all, which I recently heard used by a supposedly well read professor of human behaviour (which made me laugh at his ineptitude before moving on without reading his piece) "in actuality". :-O

Really? Sorry - I didn't like his tonality! :lol:

Mind you, with so much 'international' communication on the internet these days, I do have some sympathy with the youngsters. I mentioned it before, but the fact that many programs and sites (including this one) insist on using an American English spellchecker can't help. According to this one, I've spelled "behaviour" incorrectly. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Going off track a bit here, I think, but it all adds up.

I do agree that people tend to complain an awful lot these days. Not only that, they never seem to realise just how lucky they are. When was that next strike due? I think some of these people ought to do my hard-working wife's job for a week or two, for the minimum wage, 15 days holiday a year and no Bank Holiday days off, as well as only one day for Christmas, and having to choose whether to have that or New Year's Day off. No - it isn't a vital service job, either.

Oh look! I spelled "realise" wrong! :guinn:
Last edited by J0hn on 28 May 2014, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I get annoyed by phases such as I wanna go there and I'm gonna do that, I went on one of there planes....there and their often the wrong spelling is used.

The excessive use of 'so' niggles me...I so want one, or as usual now, i instead of an upper case I.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Oh yes Garry! What about phrases such as 'bored of' something instead of 'bored with' something. Then there is the phrase 'could of'' instead of 'could have'. This last one is derived from a particularly poor use of diction.
Incidentally I've seen these phrases used by writers and journalists who really ought to know better! :agree: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Our local Sure homepage news uses phases such as...The crash happened about half two....is that 14:30 or One O'clock given that half two is one? :lol: ...No, must be 14:30 as they wouldn't know what half of two is :lol: :lol: :lol:

The also use phases and sometime in the title such useful info as...will be closed today, or tonight is the night...the story then stays up for several days.

OK we all make mistakes and I certainly do, but this is about folks who just can't be bothered.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

It all boils down to the fact that they wasn't educated proper like wot we was. :agree: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

ohh , the over privileged can be so smug!

:Dance:

:hide:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Chroo dat :wasntme:
Alex

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

I'm not sure the education is the problem - more whether they could or can be bothered.

It disgusts me to see so much of this prevalent on BBC News pages. Like this whole "selfie" thing. The only place I have ever seen that term used is in the media. The BBC really went overboard with it.

Then there's the "to do" business. Yes, okay, it may not be wrong - but it isn't how we say things or have been saying them until about a year ago, when suddenly all the headlines changed to "So and so to meet such-and-such", "Government to get tough", "Cameron to meet Merkel" etc, etc.

Just popped over - today's "to do" reads:

"Google to build self-steering cars".

I think in our day "to do" meant something entirely different! :)

There are several other things that rattle my cage at the Beeb, but sometimes I just wonder if being able to communicate is enough. Maybe I should just get over it and not give a monkey's?
The thing is, I made the effort. I'm not exactly brains of Britain, nor well-read. I live in an ex-council house in a neglected area, on a very low income. Our choice isn't where to go on holiday, it's whether we go on holiday or get a new washing machine - and it's never the holiday. However, I made the effort with my own language. In fact, I did better at English than anything else at school, and was best student on my trade course in the Signals. I was also an interpreter in the army (to German) - so it gets up my nose when all these high and mighty, supposedly well educated and "better" class of people can't be bothered, or don't know better.

Give me their salaries! :Dance: