F-86 Sabre update

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: F-86 Sabre update

Post by petermcleland »

speedbird591 wrote:I have speedbrakes/spoilers assigned to a button on the base of my joystick. One tap to toggle on and another tap to toggle off but I can see why you'd like to assign it to the hat, Chris - it's more like the real thing. I think I'll keep my hat free for seeing with :lol:

On the subject of the speedbrakes, page 7 of the reference guide (not the manual) refers to a setting on the SB switch called NEUTRAL (HOLD) which allows you to open and close the speedbrakes incrementally. I can't seem to find this as the switch just toggles IN or OUT. Maybe it's an FSX feature. Anybody else found it?
Seems to work alright for me Ian...Just click the switch on the throttle to Out and then click the middle position to stop the brakes where they are...Don't confuse the switch on the throttle with the Speed Brakes Emergency lever.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

In FSX (not sure about FS9 as I don't have it) you can assign the spoilers to a joystick axis, I've got the throttle thumb slider thing on my X-52 set to it, depending on your joystick you may have a spare axis to use. Certainly makes speed control easier.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

to adjust the spoliers for variable rate
the setup will be under the Control Axis tab in the control setup for either FS9 or FSX
for instance, spoliers can be deployed with the slider on the X52 throttle or the two rotating knobs

the use of the top hat to deploy spoliers would be giving up 8 buttons for one ,
The top hat button is One button, by default it's set to the Panview
unlike the eyepoint movments which are broken down to left right back forw.... ect. ect.ect.
pan view is one button on the controller, It just works eight ways ...
try to assign a key to Panview, it won't allow it, (critical stop sounds off)
So if you give up Panview for one button to control spoliers , your giving up a lot for little.

might i suggest to look through second hand stores for controlers you can modify
or use as they come. Or buy the saitek throttle set up it's around 40 dollars

:flying:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

SkippyBing wrote:In FSX (not sure about FS9 as I don't have it) you can assign the spoilers to a joystick axis, I've got the throttle thumb slider thing on my X-52 set to it, depending on your joystick you may have a spare axis to use. Certainly makes speed control easier.
you Beat me to it, Not fair though my reply has more keypress in it.
:)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

petermcleland wrote:Seems to work alright for me Ian...Just click the switch on the throttle to Out and then click the middle position to stop the brakes where they are...Don't confuse the switch on the throttle with the Speed Brakes Emergency lever.
it just occurred to me to zoom in close on the switch instead of looking at it from a distance :roll: ...

So now I can see what I'm doing. I only seem to have access to the middle position and the Out position. I can put the brakes out and stop them part way, but the switch won't go back to the In position unless I use the emergency lever or press the '/' key. So the switch puts the brakes out OK but not In again (either from full or part way). Anyway, I'm not bothered because I generally haven't got time for that. I just bang the brakes out and when the speed is where I want it, I bang them right back in again!

Nobody's watching ... :worried:

Ian :)

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

you Beat me to it, Not fair though my reply has more keypress in it.
Yeah, with the cheapo keyboard I'm currently using it's too much effort to do lots of key presses, key action like a racing clutch!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:lol: :lol:
ah well,, main point , speed brakes can be applied at will

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

btw skippybing, Santa is loading up his slegh for the big haul
... perhaps one of them is a new keyboard with power glide transmission
.... no clutch needed , :dancer:

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

After reading all the favourable comments re the F- 86,I thought I'd give it a try.Fast jets are not normally my thing( I prefer to make a t!t of myself a bit more sedately)but this is really superb.Incredible detail.I'll have to start to RTFM.I normally use the CH Products yoke and pedals which feel a bit odd with fast jets,although I still have my old M/S Sidewinder2 tucked away.Who knows,I may even have to try DG's Hunter or Rick's Meteor. :thumbsup: EricT.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!