Test pilot doco

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

martyfly
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Test pilot doco

Post by martyfly »

Good morning team,
Was just wondering if anyone had, or knows where i could get a copy of the tv series "test pilot"released some years ago.
I think it was a Thames tv production. Ive tried everywhere here but no luck. :sad:
I used to have a copy, along with the other one........was it fighter pilot?
following the training , from induction to solo in the jaguar of an RAF pilot.....as i remember of all involved, it was a milkman that made the grade.
The test pilot is of particular interest as one of the course members was an RNZAF pilot steve moore, who i flew with when on No2 Sqn (A-4K's) many years ago.
Quite happy to supply blank tape's or dvd and pre paid post for a copy.
As i said ,i had both on tape, but along with 60% of my memory their gone.. :doh:

Not urgent, just a thought.....and anyway , i wont remember in the morning :lol: (just kidding.....seem to get more back each day)

Many thanks

Marty

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Try the link below. If you click on 'more' just to the right of the initial text, the host says they can send the series to you on DVD. (you have to sign up to 'You Tube')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16C-buuR ... ed&search=

martyfly
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by martyfly »

Thanks very much Chris.will let you know how it pans out :smile:

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

No probs.

I vaguely remember this series myself, so I may follow your actions and get hold of it so I can actually take heed of it this time, rather than just watching it as a kid and not taking it in! :smile:

martyfly
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by martyfly »

The guy concerned seems on the level, payment via paypal.
He has copied from vhs to dvd, so some parts may be shaky...but it is well worth watching, some amazing footage of spinning the hunter. :smile:

He is charging me about 8 pounds includes postage to NZ........not sure if thats good or not.

Wait untill i get it, and check it, and if ok i will send you a copy ..no charge...he is after all in breach of copy right law, and i dont see why everybody should pay.

Cheers

Marty

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

That milkman taught me to become a QFI a few years ago... he is still around, and a very nice chap
Tonks, s'cuse me for butting in but would that be the one who trained on JPs and afterwards went to Germany to fly Phantoms?

Can remember watching a documentary on training RAF pilots and was surprised at how many fell by the wayside.

There was one pilot as I remember who went right through to an OCU on Canberras' straight out of training but sadly failed the course. I think he then came out but not sure why.

I appreciate this may not occur often but what would happen to a pilot who fails an OCU? Are they given another chance at it or posted elsewhere?

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

martyfly
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by martyfly »

Nigel,
Not sure about the RAF these days, but here, depending on the case, some retraining was given...but time limited...otherwise it was out ,or off to a transport or maritime Sqn to try again....worst case O i/c of some supply depot in the middle of nowhere.
:sad:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

worst case O i/c of some supply depot in the middle of nowhere
Oh 'eck!! :shock:

martyfly
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by martyfly »

Ek indeed,
There are some very frustrated supply officers out there.........and some C-130 jockeys who would love to strap on G-suit....i bit the bullet and hauled trash and troops for a few years.........you can almost roll a C-130 as i remember.
Have some cockpit pics somwhere , will post if i can find them......on the edge of the envelope type thing. :worried:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks for the reply Tonks.

Regards Nigel