Tutorial Question

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Tutorial Question

Post by Bridon Bear »

Just a thought......

There are now a great many talented repainters on this site alone and their skills are greatly admired by all....however, occasionally there are the inevitable requests for a particular livery that will for various reasons be far beyond the time scale of the busy repainters.

I know there are quite a few who would like to have a go themselves....(myself included) but the tutorials out there that I have seen are either very old or maybe not too well explained.

I wondered if someone would be prepared to write a simple basic tutorial on the art of repainting FS9 aircraft based perhaps on a simple paint kit to help the budding tyro into the world of repainting......even if it is just enables the newcomer to make a difference to his or her FS World by simply changing the registration lettering would be a damn good start :wink:

Most of us these days are owners of the mainstream paint programs such as PSP or Photoshop Elements and use them regularly so to progress forward into repaints would be a dream come true for many I am sure.

Anyway, it is just a thought......could we have a 'Repainters Tutorial' topic or 'Beginners Clinic'......what do others think :think:

Regards

Bridon Bear :wink:
Last edited by Bridon Bear on 03 Jun 2007, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I think thats an excellent idea, Bridon Bear!

The topic of repaints came up at Alphasim the other day, because I've always wondered why there are hardly any repaints for their PBY. Apparently, its because of the way the original textures are applied, or something like that.

Id love to be able to have a crack at the PBY myself, but I rather suspect that if all those experienced painters out there find it too difficult, there's precious little chance I would be able to do anything.

However, some repaint tutorials would give me a grounding in the art.

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Very good idea BB :wink:

You're right when you say a lot of tutorials out there are past their sell-by date :lol:

Re-painting is easier if a layered paint-kit is supplied with the model but getting to grips with different techniques in PSP or Photoshop..or the software Garry uses..can be daunting.

An 'in-house' tutorial would be just the job...anyone up for it?

Derek :smile:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Let's start simple - what aircraft are you wanting to repaint, etc? What painting software do you have? How much time have you got?

Quite happy to help, but I'm not sure that all the tutorials are past their sell-by-date.

For example those at http://www.gjsmith.net gave me an insight and I went away and tried for myself - once the basics are understood, it is down to understanding/limitations of the painting software, and the skill of the painter.

Garry, Andy (igorski) and UKMIL may perhaps disagree with that simplification but given the same software, they could probably do a better job than me!

Why not start with an interactive approach - select your topic and new scheme and "we" can talk you through it (bound to be as many ways of doing it as contributors).

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think the thing that puts many folk off repainting is the need for PSP or Photoshop. Its an expensive business if someone wants to try repainting. I'm sure I've asked this before, but is there any free paint programs that would allow a beginner to at least have a go without forking out for software?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

http://www.gimp.org/ Is an open source paint package that does pretty much anything PS or PSP does, at least as far as aircraft re-painting goes.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Exactly.

The GIMP is not very easy to use since it works similar to Photoshop.

But the power is there (like in Photoshop) and it takes a bit of time to learn.

So looks like GIMP tutorials for FS painting. :lol:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Gimp is what I have, but I didn't think it could open the bmp required for FS repainting? :think:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I use ARC photo studio.....came with a digital camera and is easy to use

PSP and Photoshop are unnecessarily complex for repainting aircraft and make the job seem a lot harder than it really is.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

ianhind wrote:Let's start simple - what aircraft are you wanting to repaint, etc? What painting software do you have? How much time have you got?
I'd like to start out by doing small things to aircraft like the Alphasim Catalina and Boeing B-47 ( which I bought today ! ) Adding nose art, or SAC Bombardment Wing emblems and so on. I would really like to learn how to do a basic workmanlike bare metal texture too!

I have Photoshop 5 and Photoshop Elements 2, and as for time ...it takes as long as it takes. If that means one rivet a night, so be it ! :lol: