Merlin door accident and something else.................

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Merlin door accident and something else.................

Post by Trev Clark »

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=281424
Thought the door episode might be of interest to Tom, then to my horror I saw reference to an 8 ft strop falling through the rear observation window of a Puma.....OMG :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :crying: :-# I thought that was something I could forget about!!!!! Heavy 5t shackle falling about 25 cms will break perspex in a second, followed by 8ft of strop and.....another bloody shackle :dunno:
ATB Trev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeed. Saw it on the news last night. Fell into the crowd apparently :shock: Who says helicopters aren't exciting!! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There's a video link on that PPrune thread.buit it's easy to miss

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0624/9news_ ... 4,null,230

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

It even made both the local and national news in most the US. They say it was at an airshow, but if it was, I want to know why the flight crew was so grossly violating the show line and flying over the crowd?

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Chris Trott wrote:It even made both the local and national news in most the US. They say it was at an airshow, but if it was, I want to know why the flight crew was so grossly violating the show line and flying over the crowd?
They weren't displaying, they were departing from the show. And where the Merlin flew didn't appear to be over any "official" crowd line.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Should that be the case, then they certainly don't depart (or didn't depart) as they do when displaying (or departing) at Duxford. I can't envisage any circumstance where a part could fall off and hit the crowd there. Even though all airfields aren't the same.. the departure procedure should be.

An odd one and no mistakin' :think:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Are the regulations different in Eire?

Also this was held on a beach so perhaps that brought everything closer together.

Garry
Garry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That I don't know Garry :think: The rules seem pretty straight forward over here though.. the aircraft simply don't fly near the crowd line. I use Duxford again as an example because I've been going 4 times a year for the last 9 years and in all that time, I've only seen two examples of aircraft flying over the crowd line.. one was for an anniversary (can't remember which particular one as Duxford seem able to come up with a different one every year) where a massed flight of Spits scrambled, formed up and then flew North-South over the airfield. Special dispensation had to be sought for this to happen. The second was only a few years back where a USAF Tanker and two F15's displayed briefly. Not sure if they had the runway coords wrong or what but they certainly didn't fly down the runway!! :shock:

Departing helicopters (of the military display variety) always takeoff and stay very very low then either reverse out to the flightline or turn and fly toward the runway then depart on a runway heading.. gaining height as they depart. At this point, they're no where near the crowds so should anything fall off.. the crowd would be safe.

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It certainly shows the danger of flying over the crowds.

The injuries could have been far worse and perhaps luck that they were not.....but the incident, I hope, will be treated exactly the same way had it been fatal.

Garry
Garry

Pringle
Trident
Trident

Post by Pringle »

Just to let you know I think the best form of approach for this is...

'I cannot answer that question sir/madam' :lol:

PS. The door is light as hell, check the way it falls, like a leaf...
We are the unwilling, led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary, for the ungrateful

LIVING THE DREAM