Tech help required

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Tech help required

Post by Captain Pugwash »

i need some advice on the art of moving file from a paint kit to photoshop and back again. i have been able to transfer the file with dtx.bmp to photoshop. then plyed aroung with photoshop splashing colours here there and everywhere, also making layers and using some of the tools. but then here's where everything goes wrong.
after reading two different painting guides still have major problems trying to send the photoshop file back to dxt and converting back to a file fs9 will read. one on ocassion i dont know what i did but the end result was the inside textures on the outside of the aircaft and the outside in :shock:

so i ask for a step by step easy to follow instructions as to downloaded paint kit into dxt then photoshop and then back to dxt to finally be converted back to a file fs9 can understand.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi CP

You don't need DXT to get it into photoshop as such

If the file is in DXT3 then you need to open it in DXT.BMP and re save as 32-888. Photoshop will open that OK

If it is not or it is a layered doc like PSD then you should open it straight away in Photoshop

When you are done save it as a Bitmap and then open it in DXT.BMP and re save as a 32-888 for flight sim to read.

DXT.BMP is on;y a tool for converting file formats in this case switching between 32 extended that FS use and ordinary Bitmaps. Also for converting to compressed DXT.3 format or if already DXT3, uncompressing back to bitmap.

I also use DXT.BMP to add the alpha channels....but forget those for now

If you are viewing in FS repaint then you only need to resave as Bitmaps and not go through the DXT.BMP stage as FS repaint reads the ordinary bitmaps.

Only go through DXT.BMP when you want to actually see it in FS

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

thankyou for the info, i'll go and download the paintkit again and try.
was told about fspaint by john. downloaded and it worked for a few mins. after further downloads from ms site. the program will not now run. message comes up about illegal dll's and should ask programmer for new dll codes ?. so i have now got my old lap top working and will you that for repaints. hopefully that will accept the fspaint demo.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Oh :-#

There was a post about that....it happend to all of us :curse:

A MS upgrade stopped FS Repaint running and a patch had to be downloaded.

Bear with me and I'll try and find it :worried:

Garry
Garry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Garry

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

thanks again garry, i thought i had buggered things up again. have downloaded the patch and everything is working fine. :smile:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I think most of us thought that.

Like recently my machine kept disconnecting off the Internet.

After several days of trying to find a virus I discovered that three security updates that I had not asked for or allowed had been downloaded :curse:.

Chucked them off and the problems went away :smile:

Garry
Garry

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

finally after weeks and weeks of trying to master this fine art. many times given up thinking i was thick. ( ok no jokes pls ). here is my first repaint to finally work in fs9.

ok it might not look good but i got the programs and my little fartly grey cell to work together. many thanks for the replys garryand all others that helped me in this matter. i was about to quit for good on this project, so now i have fspaint working and i can now get the files into fs9. next step back write this down and try to learn how to paint properly.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Well

So there you have it.

A wise move..........worry about all the farting around later.

Now you have got it into FS........which TBH is what it's all about, the rest is follow on quickly.

One thing.....and it's a job to tell there as sprayed lines like that are soft in any case......is the Mip setting

When you re save in DXT.BMP there is a check box to include mips.

Most cards nowadays don't want them so make sure that box is unchecked.

If not then the paints will come out blurry..I'm sure you are familiar with thateffect as some are put out with mips

The number of times I've seen a new guy go almost to desperation when he does a paint and sees it come out fuzzy.

The solution is clear...........leave it unchecked.

By default it is checked so watch out each time you start DXT.BMP up

Any other problems just post here no matter how trivial you may think the question is.

Garry
Garry

CBris
Meteor
Meteor

Post by CBris »

PMFBI...

Captain P, FSrepaint - or whatever it's called. Do you mean the Abacus prog? It is little better than the normal MS Paint that's included in windows. It's a good tool for starting, but eventually you are going to feel the need for something better.

Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Corel Draw Suite and the likes are the de-facto tools for any artwork on your PC - but they can cost the earth. I favour Corel Draw because you can buy a three generations old copy for pocket money prices to learn on and upgrade at a real reasonable price.

But there is hope for all!

Are you willing to tinker a bit? There's a program out there called GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ It is modular, i.e. you have to put it together yourself, but it does everything Photoshop can - and possibly more.

And above all, it's FREE!

Also, there is a very useful place to learn various paint techniques with tutorials and help for most of the publicly available painter programs: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/

But now that you have discovered the correlations between the various parts of re-skinning a plane, there'll be no stopping you. Enjoy this fun side of FS.
Chris Brisland, Skype "Eagleskinner"

My Blog: http://eagleskinner.blogspot.com/