HELP WANTED IN SOUTHAMPTON AREA!!!!!!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

HELP WANTED IN SOUTHAMPTON AREA!!!!!!

Post by Trev Clark »

OK guys, now is your chance to really put something back into this hobby!!! As most of you know, Garry Russell is working on his first aircraft model, the Bristol Superfreighter and mighty fine it is too!

Garry's biggest problem is research, he is relying on books and internet stuff, but this is few and far between. So I have taken it apon myself (as I left the South coast of the UK last year :$ ) to get this information :thumbsup: .

The place we need to visit (maybe with prior permission) is Solent Sky in Southampton. As well as being a great museum (you can clamber around inside a Short Solent) they have a huge picture library of Silver City, the car ferry operator of the 50s and 60s. According to the library listing, there are cockpit and cabin shots, as well as livery shots, these are needed to finish off the project to the standard already seen http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsim/cbfsBB/vie ... 0&start=15
Can you help, do you live near Southampton, if you want a Superfreighter in MSFS NOW is the time to act!!!!!!!
GO ON make it happen!!!!!!

End of appeal, normal service will continue.
ATB Trev

rosscogswell
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: HELP WANTED IN SOUTHAMPTON AREA!!!!!!

Post by rosscogswell »

Hi, I live very close to Southampton and know that museum well. I've SO much fun out of the aircraft these guys produce and always enjoyed reading yoiur forum that I thought I'd join and lend a hand. What do you need ?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Welcome Ross.. a knight in shining armour!! :)

Garry will be along with his requirements shortly.. have a very sharp pencil and loads of paper :lol:

ATB

DaveB
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Ross and warm welcome to the fourum.

Thank you so much for answering this request. :yipeee:

It's a job to say off hand right now exactly what I need but for starters pics of the inside.

I have no idea of the seating arangement in the pax cabin and the rear bulkhead at the end of the car deck is just a guess atm.

Inside the cockpit is another area I have no pics of Mk.32 and on the subject of cockpits I can't work out why some have two side windows one port side and only one starboard side.

As to the covered window some look screened off or blanked inside, some seem plated on the outside.

Some have one window both sides.

Also rare liveries.

Perhapss if you digest this and I can PM you later with more specific deatils of the rarer liveries.

I can also go through the list on the web and see the pics I think will show what I need to know.

I'll be in touch later :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Welcome indeed Ross, on the Solent Sky website http://www.afm.ses.soton.ac.uk/solentsky/Album%2017.htm they list all these galleries and artifacts, these are the holy grail for this project and it would be brilliant if they could be viewed and copied. The copies (or even better electronic copies if they have them) sent to Garry, who is not in the UK, but not on the other side of the world, if you see what I mean ;-)
ATB Trev

rosscogswell
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by rosscogswell »

I'll phone the museum tomorrow and arrange to see this archive and get it copied. I'm free all next week so the project should be straight forward.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Welcome to the forum Ross

And I know you are a very welcome sight for Garry's sore eyes - I managed to set up a working relationship with
Hawkair in Canada , They have provided some very useful information (frinstance the fact that the beastie was
a pneumatic wizard - Brakes, flaps etc etc all driven by pneumatics so the aircraft (like the Dove) sounded like
an articulated lorry on the ground and in the air) they also provided some excellent photographs BUT they are all
the the Mk31 (which Garry will produce down the line). I think most of us have tried to get access to the Southhampton
collection with out much success - they do appear to have a goldmine there in their Silver City collection - just a
matter of getting access :)

:thumbsup: Good Luck with whatever you can trawl up

Cheers

Leif

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks for you back up Leif

And again for Trev for lauching this appeal.

Ross.......Again thank you.

I have sent you a PM

Regards

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Ross, I would just not 'assume' that copying can be done (it should be) as some of the volenteer workers at these sort of places (of which I was one) can be a little 'funny'. I suggest that explain what was seen (or not seen :brick: )on the website and that you are researching Silver City Mk32 Superfreighters for a project.
ATB Trev

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Trev

If I may Hijack the thread momentarily - If there are any scenery builders who would like to add their talents to this
very worthwhile project there are three airports that need modifying in advance of the arrival of Garrys Frightner.

1/. Lydd - retro fitted back to 1950/60s
2/. Weston-Super-Mare Airport as it was in the 50s
3/. Le Touquet Airport same time period

Ive also got some photos of a Shell BP three wheeled fuel bowser of that period if anyone feels like a challenge.

As this is Garrys first foray into the model building side of the hobby , it would be appropriate to have it flying in a
correct enviorment

Cheers (And thank you Trev)

Leif